Simpson Street School fire: Roof of former Sunderland school 'severely damaged' after firefighters spend more than five hours tackling blaze

A former Sunderland school building has been severely damaged by a blaze which firefighters battled for more than five hours to extinguish.

Wednesday, 29th January 2020, 6:53 am
Updated Wednesday, 29th January 2020, 10:20 am

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.19pm and used four jets, an aerial ladder platform and thermal imaging cameras, to bring the fire at the Grade II listed building under control.

Two engines from Farringdon, one engine from Sunderland Central, one engine from Marley Park and one engine from Gateshead, worked together to put out the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters then left the scene more than five hours later at 11.32pm.

The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed.

The service spokeswoman said: “Five fire engines and one aerial ladder platform were called to a fire at a three-storey listed building at 6.19pm.

Firefighters tackling the blaze at the former Simpson Street School building. Photo by Anthony Issac Fisher.

“Crews used four jets, an aerial ladder platform, Cobra – which is a high pressured hose attachment – five thermal image cameras and forcible entry tools.

“Crews left the scene at 11.32pm.

“No one was injured.

“A total of 30% of the building, including the roof has been severely damaged by fire.”

Firefighters at the scene of the blaze at the former Simpson Street School building. Photo by Anthony Issac Fisher.

As firefighters tackled the fire a cordon was put in place around the building and no cars or pedestrians were allowed near to the building.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service had advised members of the public to stay clear of the area while crews worked to extinguish the fire and urged residents to keep their windows and doors closed.

Police confirmed that they had vehicles and officers at the scene during the incident, but said that they had minor involvement.

During the incident a spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said: “We received a call from the fire service at 6.30pm about a large fire in Sunderland.”