Police treat man's death as 'unexplained' after body found at Seaham address

An investigation is underway after a man was found dead outside a house in Seaham.

Wednesday, 1st July 2020, 5:36 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st July 2020, 8:12 pm
A tent was put up by police after a body was found in Marlborough in Seaham.

The North East Ambulance Service sent an ambulance and an officer to Marlborough, near to St John’s Church, at 8am today, Wednesday, July 1, to reports of an injured man.

A large police presence could then be seen in the street during the day, with a forensics tent erected at the back of a house in a block of homes.

Forensic officers could also be seen carrying out checks at the front of the house, which looks onto a grassed area.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A police officer wearing a forensic suit checks an area at the front of the house, which looks onto paths and grass.

A cordon was expanded as the day went on, with alleys leading to the house and neigbouring properties taped off.

Read More

Read More
Read more: LIVE updates: Police give update on investigation as man's body found...

A Durham Constabulary spokesperson said: “Police were called shortly after 8am today to Marlborough, in Seaham, following the discovery of a man’s body.

“Officers are currently treating his death as unexplained and inquiries are ongoing.

Police sealed off an area at the back of the house following the discovery of a man's body.

“Anyone with any information that could help the investigation should call Durham Constabulary on 101, quoting incident number 60 of July 1.”

People living close to the scene, which is also near to the former Marlborough Surgery building, said they believed a man had moved into the house on his own around 18-month-ago.

One 73-year-old woman who lives in the street said: “When I got up this morning, I saw two firefighters up the street and I saw the back of their truck, and then when I looked out again, I could see the back of an ambulance, so I thought someone must have been ill.

“A police officer came around and said there’s nothing to be frightened of and then later on he told me someone had died.

A police presence could be seen in the street for most of the day.

“We saw them put the cordon up and then the CSI came around.

“Then it was crawling with police and there were police cars everywhere once the cordon went up.”

County Durham Fire and Rescue Service confirmed it sent an appliance from Seaham at 8.15am after a request for support from the police.

A message from the Editor:

An area of Marlborough was closed off by police.

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

We have arranged a special 20 per cent off subscription offer for people to take advantage of. Visit www.localsubsplus.co.uk, choose the newspaper title, the type of subscription and enter your details.

Thank you.