"It was absolutely terrifying" - Meet the tiny premature fighter who survived sepsis and seven weeks in intensive care

A mam from Jarrow has spoken of the ‘hardest’ weeks of her life after baby Theo was born at 28 weeks and spent just under two months in hospital battling a bowel condition and sepsis.

Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 1:16 pm
Mam Danielle is glad to have Theo home safe.
Mam Danielle is glad to have Theo home safe.

Theo Hunt was born at the Sunderland Royal hospital, weighing just 2lb 9.5oz in October last year before being kept in intensive care for seven weeks.

The little fighter contracted e-coli sepsis and also suffered from Necrotising enterocolitis (NEC), a serious condition that can affect newborn babies where tissue in the bowel becomes inflamed.

Mam Danielle, 30 was told that the RVI in Newcastle were on standby for surgery that would give little Theo a 50/50 survival rate.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Theo was born at just 28 weeks and spent just under 2 months in hospital.

Danielle, who also has a four-year-old son said: “It was absolutely terrifying and it was right in the middle of the pandemic which made things worse because me and my husband Stephen couldn’t go and see him together because of covid regulations.

"It was some of the hardest weeks of our lives and he was so poorly – it was heartbreaking to see.”

Now seven months old, Theo is on the road to recovery after his shaky start to life.

Read More

Read More
Huge police search in Washington after woman heard screaming in woodland
Theo, who is now seven months old is on the road to recovery after leaving hospital in January. Steven Hunt, with four-year-old Joel, baby Theo and wife Danielle Hunt.

Danielle, who is a nursery teacher said she was told that Theo would need to be born early due to complications that started during her pregnancy at 20 weeks.

She said: “Theo was born via emergency c-section and he was taken straight away to the neonatal intensive care unit, where he had to endure painful lumbar punctures to his spine to check that the infection hadn't spread to his brain."

During his time in the unit he was put on CPAP, a type of ventilation machine to stop his airways collapsing, along with feeding tubes while also undergoing three blood transfusions.

The mam added: “When he came home in January we were relieved but also nervous because it could all come back and he has struggled a few more times since but the family have been so supportive.”

Theo is now recovering from hospital at home in Jarrow.

Danielle is now raising money for the Neonatal intensive care unit.

She said: “We wanted to give back to the hospital for all the support they’ve given us – Theo wouldn't be here with us today without the unit so we wanted to help in some way.”

You can donate to Danielle’s fund here.

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.