Sunderland burglar left in hospital after falling asleep and sparking chip pan blaze

Two hungry burglars broke into a family home and helped themselves to food and high-value property before going home and sparking a blaze.

Thursday, 13th February 2020, 4:51 pm
Updated Thursday, 13th February 2020, 5:14 pm

George Jones, 38, and Tracey Corkin, 45, took food from the fridge and ate Nutella from a jar then used a shopping trolley to help get away with £2,000 worth belongings including bikes and a TV.

When the then couple, who were both on drugs, got back home, Corkin fell asleep while cooking chips and caused a blaze that left her burnt and hospitalised.

Judge Sarah Mallett jailed Jones for three years and seven months and sentenced Corkin to 18 months, suspended for two years, with programme requirements and a six month nighttime curfew.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

George Jones and Tracey Corkin

Prosecutor Peter Schofield told the court: "In due course he obtained footage which showed the two defendants in company together, and a shopping trolley.

"The shopping trolley is significant as it seems the defendants removed the TV from the house with the aid of the shopping trolley, and other items were taken."

Mr Schofield said the homeowner found his £750 TV set dumped and damaged after the break-in last October.

The court heard Jones and Corkin lived at Darcy Court, Sunderland which is just a few hundred metres away from the raided house at Egerton Street.

Jones, who has a dozen previous convictions for house raids, admitted burglary and an unrelated offence of having a bladed article after he was caught carrying knife a the train station in rush hour last July.

Corkin, who is not heavily convicted, admitted burglary.

Jessica Slaughter, defending Jones, said: "The pair of them were hungry. It was an offence committed on impulse.

Miss Slaughter said Jones had become a mentor in custody.

Jennifer Coxon, defending Corkin, said the then couple's relationship lasted just three months.

She added: "Unfortunately, because of her drugged state, there was a chip pan fire and she was woken up by the emergency services.

"She became quite badly burned and spend a number of days in hospital."