Everything we know so far about Sunderland murder investigation after assault victim dies

Detectives have launched a murder investigation after an assault victim died in hospital days after a street attack in Sunderland.

Tuesday, 4th August 2020, 5:00 pm

Emergency services were called to Borough Road on Saturday, August 1, at around 4pm following the assault of a 36-year-old man – who died in hospital two days later.

A number of arrests have since been made and one man remains in custody on suspicion of murder.

Here’s what we know so far:

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A police cordon in place in Borough Road, Sunderland

Who is the victim?

The 36-year-old man died in hospital two days after an assault in Borough Road, Northumbria Police confirmed today (Tuesday, August 4).

The victim’s identity has not yet been released by officers but police have confirmed the man’s family have been notified and are being supported by specialist officers.

He suffered serious injuries in the assault, believed to be head injuries, and was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.

A 36-year-old man suffered serious injuries and later died in hospital.

What do we know about the assault?

Police say a ‘violent altercation’ broke out between a group of men on Borough Road which led to the victim suffering significant injuries.

The men are all believed to be known to one another and detectives say there is no risk to the wider public in the area.

A North East Ambulance Service spokesman said at the weekend: “We received a call at 3.39pm to a report of a man who had been punched and then fallen in the road unconscious.

"We treated a patient with head injuries before transporting him to the RVI.”

Has anyone been arrested?

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody on Tuesday afternoon (August 4). He is the third man to have been arrested in relation to the incident.

On Sunday, August 2, officers confirmed a 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault. The following day, a 29-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

These two men have been released under investigation while inquiries continue.

Members of the public helped assault victim in street

Mollik Ahmed, who runs Perfect Fried Chicken in Borough Road, told the Echo on Saturday that he saw a man with head injuries lying in the street when he arrived for work.

"It was about half past three, quarter to four,” he said.

"I saw him lying there and went to help. There were already a few people in the road who were trying to help him.

“I asked if I should call the police and an ambulance but two ladies said they had already phoned.

The ambulance arrived straightaway and they started working on him.

"It was very sad.”

What to do if you witnessed the attack

Detective Inspector Graeme Barr, the senior investigating officer, says a number of people are believed to have witnessed the attack in the Sunderland street.

Read More

Read More
DI Barr’s full statement here

He has also appealed for any motorists in the area who may have dash cam footage of the surrounding area at the time of the incident to come forward.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101, quoting log 727 010820, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A message from the Editor:

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to the Sunderland Echo website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit here to sign up. You can subscribe to the newspaper with 20% off here. Thank you.