Loading...

See cannabis farm discovered following a house fire in Newbottle that was caused by overloaded sockets

A cannabis farm was discovered in a Newbottle house after fire crews were called to the property following a fire.

Monday, 10th January 2022, 5:27 pm
Updated Monday, 10th January 2022, 5:28 pm

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Fire crews were called to South Street in Newbottle shortly after 2pm on Friday, January 7, after receiving reports of a property on fire.

Within just five minutes of receiving the emergency call, the first appliance from the Fire Service was at the scene to tackle the blaze.

Investigations are now underway after a cannabis farm was discovered in Newbottle following a house fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Firefighters also had to use an aerial ladder platform in order to tackle the blaze – with smoke spotted coming out of the roof of the property.

After the blaze was extinguished, emergency services discovered that the property had been operating as a cannabis farm.

Investigations into the fire have been taking place over the weekend, with fire crews determining that the fire had been caused by overloaded electrical sockets.

Officers have confirmed that the farm has since been dismantled and work has been taken to ensure that the property has been made structurally secure.

Emergency services discovered that the property had been operating as a cannabis farm.

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “Shortly after 2pm on Friday we were alerted by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service to a fire at an address on South Street in Newbottle.

“Emergency services attended the address and discovered the property had been operating as a cannabis farm.

“Fire crews determined the fire had been caused by overloaded electrical sockets.

“The farm was dismantled and the property has been made secure.

Fire crews have worked to ensure that the property is structurally secure.

“Enquires are on-going.”

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today.

Enjoy unlimited access to all of our news and sport, see fewer ads, experience faster load times, test your brain with daily puzzles and get access to exclusive newsletters.

Your support for our journalism means we can continue telling Sunderland’s stories for generations to come. Click here to subscribe - and click here to get a snapshot of the Echo’s news and sport to your inbox through our email newsletters.

It has been determined that the fire was a result of overloaded sockets.
Fire fighters were called to South Street in Newbottle on Friday, January 7.