Sunderland transfer news: Midfielder linked with Serie A switch

Sunderland midfielder Seb Larsson
Sunderland midfielder Seb Larsson
1
Have your say

Fiorentina have been linked with a summer move for Sunderland midfielder Seb Larsson.

The 31-year-old has been a good servant for the Black Cats since arriving on Wearside in the summer of 2011 but the Swede is out of contract this summer, with Sunderland poised for a major summer rebuild ahead of the Championship campaign.

Larsson is one of several Sunderland players in the final two months of their current deals, with Victor Anichebe, Jan Kirchhoff, John O'Shea and Steven Pienaar among them and it remains to be seen whether Larsson has a future at the club beyond this season.

Fresh reports in Italy suggest Serie A side Fiorentina will come in for Larsson this summer when his deal expires.

The midfielder missed the start of the season after knee surgery but made his comeback in November and has since made 21 appearances for the club this season under David Moyes.

Earlier this year Larsson, who turns 32 on June 6, told Swedish media that he was relaxed about his situation.

Speaking in March, he said: "My situation is very relaxed. My contract expires in the summer. That's about where we are.

"What happens in the summer, we get to later."

Sunderland boss David Moyes had insisted there would be no discussions with those players out of contract until the club's Premier League fate was known, with relegation confirmed by the 1-0 defeat to Bournemouth at the end of April.

Moyes said he was due to speak with those players out of contract this week ahead of the final three games of the season, with Sunderland hosting Swansea City at the Stadium of Light on Saturday (KO 3pm) before trips to face Arsenal and Chelsea in the last week.

For the latest Sunderland AFC news like our Facebook Page here: