Sunderland RCA boss hails his side after seeing off new-look Durham City in FA Cup

Sunderland RCA manager Martin Swales hailed his side’s performance as they saw off a new look Durham City to reach the preliminary round of the FA Cup.

Wednesday, 2nd September 2020, 1:53 pm
The FA Cup

Former Celtic star Didier Agathe oversaw the first game as Citizens manager but saw his side fall to a 3-1 defeat at Sunderland LGV Park.

Dylan Elliott put the hosts ahead five minutes before half-time, but City restored parity with a goal from Loic Grondin less than 60 seconds later.

However, James Fairley edged RCA back in front three minutes after the interval and Nathan O’Neill sealed their progress and set up a preliminary round trip to Thornaby when he scored in the closing stages.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After the game, Swales told The Echo: “It was a great performance, the intensity they played with, we had to match that, and I was happy to see us do that.

“It was important to get through into the next round, no matter what the performance was like.

“We picked a side to go and play against them and we are delighted to be through to the next round.

“We wanted to get off to a good start, we didn’t want to be chasing our tails, and now it’s about kicking on.”

Ryhope CW saw their hopes of a cup run ended by FA Vase semi-finalists Consett after an entertaining tie at Belle View.

The two sides were level at the interval after Jack Walker cancelled out an early strike from Consett defender Darren Holden.

Carl Lawson’s second-half brace put the Steelmen on the verge of the next round and they held on for a win despite Robbie Bird giving Ryhope some brief hope when he found the net in injury-time.

Seaham Red Star also exited the competition at the first hurdle – but manager Mark Collingwood saw a number of positives from their penalty shoot-out defeat at Newcastle Benfield.

The Red Star boss fielded several new signings at Sam Smith’s Park and one of them wasted little time in making an impact.

With his new side trailing to a Lewis Scorgie goal just after half-time, former Hebburn Town striker Jason Blackburn grabbed his first goal for the club to force the tie to a shoot-out.

And despite watching his side go down to a 4-3 defeat on penalties, Collingwood was keen to stress the positives of their display.

He said: “It was a great cup tie and there were lots of positives for us.

“We are like a new team, and it will take us time to get used to each other.

“I was worried going into the game because pre-season has been a bit indifferent – but we went toe-to-toe with Benfield and gave it a good go.

“Penalties is the worst way to go out of a cup – but no team deserved to lose that game.”

Elsewhere on Tuesday night, Hebburn Town warmed up for their FA Vase semi-final at Corinthian with a 4-1 home win against Hemsworth MW.

Dale Hopson and Pete Bulmer grabbed the goals as Thornaby shocked Bridlington Town with a 2-0 win at Teesdale Park and Gee Baltazar scored twice as Billingham Town came out on top in a all-Northern League Division One tie with a 4-1 win at Northallerton Town.

Goals from Jack Butler and Max Cowburn helped Ashington to a 2-1 home win against Goole and a brace from Matty Tymon put Marske United on their way to a 3-0 win over North Shields.

West Allotment came out on top in a penalty shoot-out at Whickham after the two sides failed to break the deadlock over 90 minutes and Adam Shanks scored a stunning overhead kick as Whitley Bay eased to a 3-0 win at Garforth Town.