West Rainton clinched their place in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy final, thanks to a single-goal success at Burnside WMC.

Friday, 16th December 2016, 1:17 pm

Burnside dominated throughout the first half and could have had the tie won, but they failed to take their chances and duly paid the price.

Burnside also had two strong penalty claims waved away, with Mark Wild pouncing for the only goal.

Lee Walker shone for Rainton, with Max Stoker best for the hosts, who had sub Lee Knight sent off.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

East Rainton marched into the semi-finals of the JD Taxis Guards Cup with a convincing 3-1 home victory over New Brancepeth WMC.

Andrew Shepherd fired a double, with Jonathon Grant also scoring. Ryan Burton struck for Brancepeth, while Adam Purvis was their top performer. Dean Caris, normally a keeper, stood out in central defence for Rainton.

Ferryhill Dynamoes reached the semi-finals with a 5-3 win at Gateshead Last Orders, after trailing three times.

Newton Aycliffe Locomotion saw their FA Sunday Cup dreams dashed by a 4-0 beating from Stockton Hardwick SC in their third round tie at Shildon.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars clambered off the bottom of Division Two, with only their second win of the season.

The 2-0 success in an evenly-balanced match sent beaten Bishop Middleham into bottom spot.

Fine interplay down the left between Craig Fletcher and Liam Lusk led to a defence-splitting pass to Rob Thompson, who crossed to the far post where Steve Tunstall rose to head home the opener.

The decisive second goal came when Lusk’s neat footwork inside the penalty area forced a mistimed tackle, and Lusk dusted himself down to slot home the resulting penalty.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club moved into second place despite their 3-3 draw at High Handenhold Bird Inn.

The hosts were ahead at the break, but two fine finishes by Paul Taylor turned the game around.

Bird equalised direct from a corner, but in a dramatic finish, Taylor edged Ushaw Moor back in front only for the hosts concede instantly, following a long ball over the top.

Marc Wood, Shane Swift and Jonny Swift struck for Bird with Liam Errington starring.

Leaders Durham County scored twice in each half to outgun visitors Bede Lodge SC 4-0 for a seventh win in nine.

Langley Park blew a 2-0 lead as Ferryhill Community Hub’s constant pressure brought them back for a 2-2 draw.

Pelton Crown slipped to third place on goal difference after a 2-1 home defeat to Chester Bar 18Seven, who had Damien Baston and Michael Jones on target.

Lambton Lions extended their lead at the top of Division Four by edging home 4-3 against Grange Villa.

Lions struck first, but goals from Alex Stebbings (2) and Michael Brown had Villa 3-1 up by the 15th minute.

Villa’s strong claims for a penalty were waved away and Lions quickly got back to 3-2, with the visitors appealing in vain for offside.

Despite a James Davidson penalty save, Villa were sunk by Lewis Mitchinson’s clinical hat-trick and a Ross Mitchinson strike.

Bearpark climbed to second spot after a 6-2 defeat of Quarrington Hill WMC.

Sacriston The Shoes handed out an 8-1 hammering to hosts Witton Gilbert WMC.

Washington Cross Keys maintained their unbeaten First Division record with a 1-1 draw at home to battling Whitehills.

John Adamson gave Whitehills the lead in the first half, firing home after a surging run by star man Gareth Patterson.

Cross Keys dominated possession but could not create any clear-cut chances, until a 50th-minute Phil Marriott header, from a corner, squeezed in.

Keys were denied a winner by determined defending, and Whitehills could have snatched a late goal themselves only for Joe Whelan to fire over with the goal gaping.

Ferryhill Celtic moved two points behind leaders West Rainton, with two games in hand, after winning 4-0 at Coxhoe Red Lion.

Anthony Phillipson’s double was supported by strikes from star man Jonny Agar and sub Jay Smith, while Coxhoe rued a missed penalty at 1-0.

In Division Three, leaders Dubmire ran out 5-2 winners at Sedgefield SC after trailing 2-0.

Star man Elsdon Thompson pounced for a hat-trick, with Stephen Donkin and sub Karl Pitney, with his first goal for the club, making it five.

Lumley consolidated second place with a hard-fought 3-1 victory over Hetton New Inn.

Dan Jowett (2) and Scott Irwin struck, with Sam Harris star man.

Lowly Ouston Juniors drew 2-2 with Lumley Snooker Club, who pegged back their hosts twice with a well-taken James Laidler brace.

Ouston enjoyed Cal Winship’s penalty and a fine strike by Andy Hall but Laidler deservedly levelled 20 minutes from time.

Brandon Sports Club shrugged off an early red card for David Fort to run out comfortable 6-2 Premier Division winners against Ouston Cherry Tree .

Gavin Mudd’s penalty, after Michael Fort was felled, had Brandon ahead, but Michael Ross levelled before Fort’s superb solo strike restored the advantage.

Josh Fryer equalised early in the second half, but Brandon ran the show from that point, with Fort, Adam Burnham, Steven Parnaby and Oliver Graham sealing the points.

Bottom club Sacriston WMC are still awaiting a first win, despite hitting four goals away to Sherburn Village.

Sacriston were 3-0 up early on, but the home side roared back to finish 7-4 winners.

Second-top Pelton RAOB ran out 3-0 winners at Waldridge Park, whose star man was Tom Atwill.