Sunderland Sunday League: Late, late Luke's the hero as TC Plastics land Billy Pemberton Cup

TC Plastics' fantastic season continued with their first piece of silverware, after beating Ryhope Railway 3-2 in the Billy Pemberton Memorial Cup final.

Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 12:00 pm
Alan Tench and Kieran McArthur of TC Plastics celebrate winning the Billy Pemberton Memorial Cup. Picture by Kevin Brady

It was a tight affair at Ford Quarry on Good Friday and the teams cancelled each other out.

Dean Machin and Danny Austin fired home for the Railway Inn, but Keiron McArthur and Dylan Oxberry responded, then the game was won when hot-shot Luke Bell popped up with a late winner to send the Plastics’ faithful into raptures.

Myers were back to their best in the Joe Holborn Memorial Cup, beating First Division Willow Pond with ease.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stephen Moodey was on fire and proceeded to hit six goals past Adam McDermott in the Willow goal. Scott Mouls and Gav Nesbitt added to the goal tally to see Myers sail into the next round as 8-1 winners.

David Hurrell Jnr replied for Willow.

RCA Grangetown Florists enoyed an Adam Storey hat-trick as they saw off First Division title hopefuls O’Brien Waste Recycling 3-2.

Murton hit a brace for the visitors, but it was not enough.

Jolly Potters moved into the automatic promotion spots in Division Two after beating AFC Wearside 3-1 away.

Brad O’Keefe was Potters’ star man and had a hand in all three goals. Paul Webster hit a brace and the Potters’ latest signing, Liam Brown, popped up with his first goal.

Jason Calvert notched for AFC, whose man of the match was keeper Grant Newman.

TC Plastics, fresh from their cup final win 48 hours earlier, ran out easy 5-0 victors at TC, taking them closer to the title.

Star man Luke Bell continued his excellent form and bagged a typically clinical hat-trick, supported by Gareth Greener and Jordan Ewen. Matthew McKenzie shone for TC.

Ryhope Railway Inn were still suffering from their cup final defeat and The Stumble Inn took advantage to run out 4-1 winners. Star man Rhys Robson grabbed a double, quickly followed by goals from Charlton and Corey Steel.

Danny Austin fired Railway’s consolation goal

It was all too easy for New Town as they thrashed a poor Dolphin side 10-2.

Poor Wayne Davis suffered a dodgy back after picking the ball out of the net throughout. New Town had a host of scorers, with doubles from Foster and Winlow backed by Nixon, Dobinson, Forster, Emerson, King and Thompson.

Dolphin had Howatt and Sheriff to thank for their consolations.

Hendon took advantage of a depleted Free Gardeners team to cruise home 5-1. Star man David Newby hit Hendon’s first and Lee Welsh followed up with a double.

Craig Gordon replied for the home side, but further goals from Reay and Hunter gave Hendon an easy win.

Goals from McCririck, Addison and Adam Brown steered The Victory Club to a 3-1 win away to Washington New Tavern, who had Mark Wallis on target.

In the only Premier Division game, Ryhope Foresters and SR Dons shared the spoils after a 3-3 thriller.

Dons, who had Michael Laws (2) and John Noble on target, will feel it was two points dropped. Dan Armstrong, Anthony Young and Kieran Davies scored for Foresters.