When Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton and other EFL clubs will start the 2021/22 season
The EFL have confirmed the key dates for the 2021/22 season which will start on the weekend of Saturday, 7 August 2021.
A television game is likely to take place on Friday, 6 August while the EFL Play-Offs will once again be staged at Wembley Stadium across two weekends in May.
Sunderland will be hoping to win promotion from League One this season, with Lee Johnson’s side sitting fourth in the table with 14 games to go.
The Black Cats have won five of their last six matches to close the gap on the automatic promotion places, and claimed a 2-0 win over Rochdale at the Stadium of Light last time out.
The 2021/22 fixture list will be released once it is confirmed which divisions each team is playing in.
Here are some of the key dates for next season:
- Start Date – Saturday 7 August 2021 (with a live television game likely on Friday 6 August)
- Carabao Cup Round One – w/c 9 August 2021
- Carabao Cup Final – Sunday 27 February 2022
- Papa John’s Trophy Round One – w/c 30 August 2021
- Papa John’s Trophy Final – Sunday 3 April 2022
- Regular Season Final Day
- League One – Weekend of 30 April 2022
- League Two & Championship – Weekend of 7/8 May 2022
- League One Play-Off Final – Saturday 21 May 2022
- League Two Play-Off Final – Saturday 28 May 2022
- Championship Play-Off Final – Sunday 29 May 2022