This is where Sunderland fans think the side will finish in League One this season - with promotion still possible

Sunderland are well on track for a place in the play-offs this season – but automatic promotion may prove a step too far.

Monday, 22nd February 2021, 10:00 am

That’s the verdict of the supporters who responded to our Big SAFC Survey, who still remain unsure whether the Black Cats can seal a return to the Championship.

Lee Johnson’s side have moved themselves back into promotion contention in recent weeks with some eye-catching performances and results, and currently sit within the play-off places with ahead of a hectic end to the 2020/21 campaign.

And while the top two remains a real possibility, only 2.9% of those who responded to our survey felt that Sunderland would secure automatic promotion this season.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This is where Sunderland fans think the side will finish in League One this season - with promotion still possible

The majority of supporters – a convincing 59.8% – felt that the Wearsiders would finish within the top six and have to enter the lottery of the play-offs, while a further 34.9% believed a top half finish was the best the club could hope for this term.

When asked how confident they were of Sunderland sealing promotion this season, only 11.4% of fans said they believed the Black Cats would get out of League One at the third time of asking with the remaining 88.6% not confident of a return to the second tier.

So where will the blame lie if the Black Cats are unsuccessful in gaining promotion?

Supporters offered a mixed take on this, with many believing a number of people and factors would be at fault.

But the outgoing ownership group (28%), the playing squad (26.3%) and the fact that the club have gained too many draws (25.9%) were all pinpointed by supporters as sources of blame.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor:

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Sunderland AFC coverage 365 days a year.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor