Sunderland hopeful of double loan deal boost as TWO bids rejected for striker well-known to Lee Johnson
With the League One season moving ever closer, Sunderland and their rivals are continuing to target deals.
The Black Cats have strengthened their squad with the additions of Alex Pritchard and Corry Evans – and further signings are now being sought.
Sunderland are keen on securing a deal for a striker following the exit of Charlie Wyke while defensive reinforcements are also required.
Lee Johnson will be hopeful of further breakthroughs soon, with a friendly against Hearts on the horizon – and a two defensive loan deals have been mooted in recent days.
And the Wearsiders aren’t the only side seeking new signings.
Here’s the latest rumours from around the third tier:
- Sunderland are keen on a loan deal for Middlesbrough defender Hayden Coulson as they look to add to their defensive numbers (Teesside Gazette)
- The Black Cats are also monitoring Manchester City youngster Callum Doyle, who has been a regular in the Premier League side’s under-23 squad (Various)
- Two bids have been rejected for Peterborough United striker Mo Eisa, whom Sunderland boss Lee Johnson signed while at Bristol City. Peterborough co-owner Darragh MacAnthony says the bids have come from ‘top eight’ League One sides, but Portsmouth are not one of those interested (The News)
- Defender Akin Odimayo is training with Portsmouth ahead of a potential switch to Fratton Park from Swindon Town (Football League World)
- Middlesbrough are reportedly keen on a move for Ipswich Town midfielder Flynn Downes - who has also been linked with Nottingham Forest, Stoke City and Bournemouth (Football Insider)
- AFC Wimbledon are keen on a loan deal for Chelsea youngster Henry Lawrence, who was a regular for the club's under-23 side last term (Football Insider)
- Shrewsbury Town boss Steve Cotterill says he isn't panicking at the prospect of some star players leaving this summer - but is adamant they will only leave on the club's terms (Shropshire Star)
And here’s the done deals completed so far today:
- Striker Aaron Pressley has joined AFC Wimbledon on loan from Brentford. He is the son of former Scottish international Steven Pressley.
- Fleetwood Town have signed winger Anthony Pilkington. He was previously on the books of Wigan Athletic.