Sunderland dealt a blow in Mateo Bajamich pursuit as transfer to Houston Dynamo moves closer

Sunderland have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Mateo Bajamich – with the striker nearing closer to a move to MLS side Houston Dynamo.

Friday, 11th September 2020, 4:30 pm
Updated Friday, 11th September 2020, 4:39 pm

The Black Cats are understood to have made a bid in the region of £500,000 for the Instituto striker, with manager Phil Parkinson confirming his interest in the player last weekend.

When quizzed on the club’s interest in the striker earlier this week, Parkinson said there had been no developments – with Sunderland having since gone on to add Danny Graham to their ranks.

But Bajamich now looks set to head to North America and team-up with the Dynamos, after Instituto vice-president Mariano Carbonari told local radio that negotiations between the two clubs were at an ‘advanced’ stage.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sunderland have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Mateo Bajamich

"The transfer of Mateo Bajamich to Houston Dynamo is advanced,” he said.

"The club's lawyers are working to not leave any edge that could harm the Institute or Mateo in the future.

"The coach knew that the club needs the income to continue improving, so he understood the departures of Malcom Braida and Mateo Bajamich.

"Whenever an offer for a player arrives, it is analysed.”

The deal for the 21-year-old is understood to be worth an initial £500,000, but could rise to £1million in time. Instituto could also retain a 20 per cent stake in the player’s rights.

However, reports in Argentina have suggested that Bajamich is yet to agree personal terms with Houston – although this is not expected to be a major issue.

Meanwhile, former Black Cat Vito Mannone looks set to join Ligue 1 club Monaco.

The Italian was recently with Reading, but spent time on loan in the MLS with Minnesota United as his future at the Madjeski Stadium looked unclear.

Mannone also spent time with Swedish side Esbjerg IF earlier in 2020 before season across Europe were suspended.

And with his contract with the Royals having now expired, Mannone is understood to be heading to France.

Sky Sports Italia claim that the stopper will pen a two-year deal with Monaco, where he will challenge Polish goalkeeper Radosław Majecki for the number one jersey.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor:

Hi, our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative coverage of YOUR club every single day, home and away, 365 days a year.

This depth of SAFC coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to from the football team at the Sunderland Echo, please consider taking out a subscription to our new discounted sports-only package.

You'll find all the details at sunderlandecho.com/subscriptions/sports.

Your support is much appreciated.

Richard Mennear

Football Clubs Editor