Despite Storey saying last week he was ‘limited in what I can say due to NDA’ that hasn’t stopped him giving an interview to The Sun claiming he would pump £50million into the club with ‘four big-name Premier League players in mind’.
His takeover bid has been met with deep scepticism on Wearside.
Sunderland AFC news RECAP: Transfer and takeover latest
Last updated: Wednesday, 29 July, 2020, 14:17
- Bali Mumba has completed his move to Norwich City.
- Sunderland return to training on Wednesday.
Hello and welcome to our live Sunderland AFC blog, we’ll have the latest news throughout the day.
Our new series is a must-read
This week we are running a series of in-depth pieces as part of an investigation into the problems at the Sunderland Academy
The Football Echo nostalgia special pullout is inside the Sunderland Echo every Saturday
Part three of our series looking at the problems facing Sunderland’s Academy
Boro confirm Neil Warnock for next season
Neil Warnock is looking to reshape his Middlesbrough squad and admits the club needs ‘quite a large influx of players’ after he was confirmed as Boro boss for next season.
Warnock held lengthy talks with Boro owner Steve Gibson last Thursday after successfully steering the club to Championship safety.
And with his future now confirmed, Warnock is looking to put his stamp on the Boro squad to ensure they don’t have another poor season and become embroiled in a relegation battle again.
Reflecting on his meeting with Gibson, Warnock said: “Steve asked me for a true appraisal of everything and that’s what I did.
“He was very helpful, he wants to improve the things I want improving and take the club forward.
“He’s always supportive of his managers isn’t he. I probably should have worked for him 20 years ago, 15, 10, five - but it is how it is and I’m going to enjoy it."
Date of August 6 for salary cap vote
Sunderland and their fellow League One clubs will soon discover their fate over new salary cap proposals, with a vote set to take place next week.
Mark Catlin, CEO of rivals Portsmouth, says he believes the vote will take place August 6.
The EFL is looking to bring in a £2.5m per-year wage restriction in the third tier in a bid to make the game more sustainable.
But Portsmouth and Sunderland – whose wage bill at the start of last season stood at £10m – have voiced their concerns over a flat wage cap, however there is support elsewhere.
Catlin, however, believes there are a growing number opposed to the salary cap, he told the Portsmouth News: “I don’t think there is a certainty that the salary cap will go through.
“There seems to be an ever-growing number of clubs which may vote against it, but I think a lot of those may look at it and, given the financial situation, see it as the best of a bad job.
"It doesn’t tick everyone's boxes, but, on the whole, it means clubs’ costs are going to be brought down.
“Unfortunately for us, they are going to be brought down to a level which is far too low for Pompey and too high for other clubs.”
These clubs won’t be allowed to vote
The promoted teams, Coventry City, Rotherham and Wycombe Wanderers will no longer have a say on the League One proposals, instead the three relegated clubs from the Championship – Charlton, Wigan and Hull City – will.
Catlin told The News: "I have been speaking to quite a few of the Championship clubs ahead knowing the relegation spaces, so they are up to speed with the situation and must now come to their own decisions.
“Obviously the three relegated Championship clubs all have their own internal issues at the moment financially, so we’ll have to see how they do this.
“I am pretty certain the vote will take place on August 6, so we will find out soon.”
Sunderland will support the introduction of cost controls but they have already voiced their concerns over any uniform cap on playing budgets.
CEO Jim Rodwell has previously insisted any change must also include a transitional period.
This series is a must-read for Sunderland fans
This is what William Storey has told The Sun...
He told SunSport: “A £50million investment, above and beyond the acquisition, would be a minimum commitment.
“The fans need to be excited and I want to make a statement with big names, both on and off the pitch.
“I’ve been working on this for around four months and have already got four big-name Premier League players in mind that we could get quickly.
“For the scale of investment required I need significant backing from some real big-hitters – which I have got."