Sunderland AFC transfer news RECAP: Elliot Embleton latest, Will Grigg linked with Wigan Athletic, Charlie Wyke eyed by Championship clubs
Sunderland are preparing for a huge summer...
The Black Cats are looking to build a squad capable of achieving League One promotion as the Wearsiders prepare for a fourth straight season in the third tier.
Seven players were released last week – including the likes of Grant Leadbitter, Max Power and Chris Maguire.
The clearout came after the Black Cats were knocked out in the play-off semi-final by Lincoln City in from of 10,000 supporters at the Stadium of Light.
New deals have been offered to Denver Hume, Luke O’Nien, Aiden McGeady and Charlie Wyke as supporters await further updates.
Meanwhile, owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus publicly backed Lee Johnson as the two look to press ahead with the transfer plans alongside sporting director Kristjaan Speakman and head of recruitment Stuart Harvey.
Here are the big stories from around the Stadium of Light and League One as Sunderland prepare for a huge summer:
Sunderland AFC transfer news RECAP (May 31)
Last updated: Monday, 31 May, 2021, 15:11
- Sunderland striker Charlie Wyke continues to be linked with a move elsewhere
- The Black Cats are awaiting contract decisions from Wyke, Aiden McGeady, Luke O’Nien and Denver Hume
The latest transfer gossip from around the web
Here, we take a look at the latest Sunderland transfer news and general talk from around League One:
Wigan Athletic want to re-sign Sunderland striker Will Grigg. Grigg, 29, still has a year left on his contract at the Stadium of Light following a £3million move from the Latics three seasons ago. (Sun on Sunday)
Portsmouth have placed Swindon Town midfielder Scott Twine high up on their list of potential transfer targets this summer as Danny Cowley plans changes to his squad. (Portsmouth News)
Sunderland star Elliot Embleton has spent the season half of the season on loan with Blackpool, who are said keen on a permanent deal for the 22-year–old. Embleton is now in the last year of his contract with the Black Cats and is said to be ‘unlikely’ to extend his stay at the Stadium of Light. (Sun on Sunday)
Former Sunderland boss Roy Keane has been ‘blanked’ by Scottish giants Celtic. The ex-Black Cats boss was interested in the vacancy but hasn’t been considered by the Scottish Premiership side. (Sun on Sunday)
Ipswich Town want to sign Oxford United midfielder Mark Sykes. (Various)
The latest on Charlie Wyke
Bristol City have ruled themselves out of the running to sign Charlie Wyke.
The striker has been in fine form season and netted 31 goals in all competitions as Sunderland won the Papa John’s Trophy but lost out in the League One play-offs.
The 28-year-old Teesside-born attacker has been offered a new deal at the Stadium of Light, with his present contract set to expire this summer.
It has been widely reported that Wyke is the subject of interest from a number of Championship clubs – including Middlesbrough and Bristol City.
However, reports in Bristol claim the Championship club will not pursuing the Black Cats number nine despite previous talk suggesting otherwise.
Scottish giants Celtic and Russian outfit CSKA Moscow are also said to be keen on Wyke but Sunderland head coach Lee Johnson has repeatedly reiterated his desire to keep Wyke on Wearside this summer as his side prepare for another season in League One.
An exciting prediction from Ross Stewart!
Kristjaan Speakman has been speaking about Sunderland’s contract talks with key men...
Kristjaan Speakman says that Sunderland will look to reduce the timeline on contract talks with their out-of-contract quartet as much as possible.
But the club’s sporting director is well aware of the fact that the players will also be attracting rival interest.
The Black Cats confirmed their retained and released last week, and are keen to keep four players on Wearside for the 2021/22 season.
Aiden McGeady, Denver Hume and Luke O’Nien have all been offered new contracts by the club while discussions are ongoing with top scorer Charlie Wyke.
Talks will continue this week and Speakman is hopeful for as quick a decision as possible from the quartet, but knows there will be outside interest.
Could this be good news for Sunderland on the transfer front?
One area where the club will undoubtedly be looking to add some depth is at full-back, and QPR man Todd Kane is one of the names to have been linked with a move to Wearside this summer.
Also reportedly on Johnson’s radar is St Johnstone striker Guy Melamed – who is set to become a free agent this summer after an impressive debut season in Scotland.
Both players were also linked with a number of other clubs, which could see Sunderland set for a battle to secure their signatures.
Portsmouth were one of the clubs thought to be considering swoops for both Kane and Melamed, but Hampshire Live now claim that the club are likely to snub the duo – with neither player thought to be on Danny Cowley’s radar at present.
That could represent a major boost for the Black Cats if they are looking to make a move for either of the pair, given their competition has now been reduced.
Here’s why the decisions were made...
That’s all, folks!
Thanks for following today’s live blog!