Sunderland AFC news: Ex-Celtic and Chelsea man defends Aiden McGeady plus shock Jack Rodwell report

Former Celtic and Chelsea striker Chris Sutton has defended a picture showing Sunderland winger Aiden McGeady eating at McDonald’s.

Thursday, 12th December 2019, 5:00 pm
Chris Sutton has defended Sunderland winger Aiden McGeady on social media.
Chris Sutton has defended Sunderland winger Aiden McGeady on social media.

The photo of McGeady and Black Cats team-mate Chris Maguire in the fast-food restaurant emerged following Saturday’s defeat at Gillingham and drew criticism on social media.

Since then, McGeady has been told he can leave the club in January by Sunderland boss Phil Parkinson, and the winger won’t be involved in this weekend’s game against Blackpool.

Parkinson said the decision wasn’t because of one particular incident and the call was in the best interests of the club.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But while many have been critical of McGeady, Sutton took to Twitter to defended the Republic of Ireland international.

In response to the picture of McGeady in McDonald’s, Sutton posted: “Footballers eat takeaway shocker... How dare they eat!!!Why don’t we ban footballers from eating anything other than lettuce and carrots! McGeady is 33 and has had a very good career by making sacrifices...”

Elsewhere, former Sunderland midfielder Jack Rodwell is reportedly training with Premier League side Sheffield United.

The 28-year-old has been without a club since leaving Blackburn in the summer but could be offered a contract at Bramall Lane according to the Telegraph.

Rodwell, who left Sunderland in June 2018, made 22 appearances for Blackburn last season and had a trial with Serie A side Roma after his spell at Ewood Park.

The midfielder also trained with another Italian club, Parma, while searching for a new club.

Finally, documents on Companies House have officially confirmed Charlie Methven’s resignation as Sunderland’s executive director.

The news broke last week that Methven was stepping down from his role due to personal reasons, but will still own a 6 per cent stake in the club.

Following the news, Methven said: “This is a really tough decision to make, but for both family and work-related reasons it was something I felt I had to do.

“My wife and I are expecting our first child in the New Year, and the reality of my day job – which is largely political consultancy – is that the first months of a new government will be very challenging.”