Luke O'Nien responds to questions over his Sunderland future amid contract uncertainty

Luke O’Nien says the ball is in Sunderland’s court when it comes to his future – with his focus solely on achieving promotion.

Wednesday, 17th March 2021, 9:00 am

The 26-year-old is one of a host of players out of contract at the Stadium of Light in the summer having seen a one-year option on his previous deal triggered last year.

While fans are keen to see O’Nien put pen to paper on a new contract, discussions are not understood to have begun.

National reports had suggested that Sunderland had opened talks with the former Wycombe Wanderers man last month, but head coach Lee Johnson said he wasn’t aware of any such discussions.

Sign up to our Sunderland AFC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Luke O'Nien responds to questions over his Sunderland future amid contract uncertainty

And when quizzed on his future, O’Nien said the decision on a new contract is one that would be made by the club.

"It's something that's out of my control,” he admitted.

"Contracts are still dealt by the club, so the focus is all about what we can control. My focus is all about just training as hard as I can, giving my all for the club and all the boys, and then come the end of the season we've just got to get that promotion.

"It's up to the club what they do.”

Sporting director Kristjaan Speakman is expected to be tasked with contract negotiations moving forward, albeit with input from Johnson.

And the duo are set for a busy summer given a substantial number of Sunderland's first-team squad see their current terms expire – with many decisions set to hinge on whether the club achieve promotion.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor:

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Sunderland AFC coverage 365 days a year.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor