Scott Fenwick, Scott Harrison and Harry Worley released by Hartlepool United

Craig Hignett has made further cuts to his Hartlepool United squad.

Thursday, 5th May 2016, 3:59 pm
Updated Thursday, 5th May 2016, 6:25 pm
Scott Fenwick in action for Pools

The Pools boss this afternoon released three players, with Scott Fenwick, Scott Harrison and Harry Worley going.

Hignett though has exercised contract options on Matthew Bates, Jake Carroll, Kieran Green, Carl Magnay, Rhys Oates, Billy Paynter, Jordan Richards, Connor Smith and Brad Walker, who will be staying at Victoria Park.

There was no news on several high-profile players, including Rakish Bingham, Rob Jones, Michael Woods, Michael Duckworth and Dan Jones,

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hignett explained to SportMail last week that some tough decisions were required to bring down the size of the Pools squad to allow him to bring in some new signings in the summer.

“It’s part of the job and I’ll live and die by the decisions I make,” he said.

“Everything I do I feel is what is right for the club.

“But they are all footballers, they understand, they know what happens in the game.

“There’s nothing personal, it’s purely a business decision.”

Hignett had already released three yesterday with teenage keeper Peter Denton, midfielder Ebby Nelson-Addy and Kudus Oyenuga the first three to be let go.

There are no great bombshells among the list of players departing at the end of the campaign.

Fenwick is the side’s equal second top scorer with six but has barely featured under Hignett.

His last appearance was as a second-half sub in the 4-1 defeat at Bristol Rovers and went out on loan to Tranmere in the National League, though he returned to the VIc last month.

Worley’s exit was predictable after playing just five times following his transfer from Stevenage last summer.

The 27-year-old played the first three games before suffering his first injury early in the win at York.

He returned briefly, even leading Pools in the JPT tie with Sheffield United before suffering an ankle problem which required surgery and did not play for the First team again.

Harrison’s departure perhaps comes as a mild surprise.

The former Sunderland player was the pick of the defence in early-season, playing the first 18 games and scoring a superb goal against Carlisle.

But luck was not always on his side, he was harshly sent off in the home defeat by Crawley and, thereafter, Pools went with the combination of Matthew Bates and Adam Jackson at the heart of the defence.