oddies: one more win!

Oddies need one win from their final three games to land the title.

The champagne could be uncorked tomorrow with victory at second-top Durham City Reserves.

City, playing their final game, cannot catch the Wearsiders, who are five points better off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Third-top Redcar Town are seven points behind Oddies, with three games to play.

Two more good wins steered Oddies towards the title. First, they outgunned neighbours Hall Farm 4-1, thanks to strikes from Michael Bulmer (2), Luke Taylor and Kevin Morton,, then Oddies overwhelmed Wallsend Town 8-0.

Star man Bulmer and Taylor both fired hat-tricks, with Martin Thompson adding a couple.

Redcar Town’s bid suffered a massive blow with a 3-1 loss to Sherburn Village WMC, with Steven Turnbull and two-goal Glenn Hendrix notching and Scott Arnott the star man. Stuart Poulter replied.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Washington AFC avoided defeat for the first time this season in their double header against fellow strugglers Seaham New Westlea.

A 2-2 draw saw Washington up to one point from 29 games, while New Westlea won the second match 3-2 to get back to one point themselves, following the deduction of three points earlier in the campaign.

Jack Curry hit both for Westlea in the opener, but Mark Wallis’s brace levelled it up.

In the rapid rematch, Lewis Milley, Jonathan Capper and Luke Jameson secured Westlea their first win all season.

Wallis and Alex Ludlow netted for Washington.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Farringdon Detached succumbed 5-2 at Brandon United Development, with Allan Carlyon grabbing both of their consolations, while Bishop Auckland Reserves drew 2-2 at Killingworth YPC, whose marksmen were Lee Isbister and Dan Cartwright.

Blackhill & Ebchester were 2-0 up on Coundon & Leeholme when their game was abandoned, with Richard Parkin striking both goals.

Coundon crashed 5-2 at Killingworth YPC in midweek, and the Tynesiders also beat Wheatley Hill WMC 4-0.

Wheatley Hill WMC are celebrating their first ever Washington Aged Peoples Trophy success.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wheatley surprised title-chasing Redcar Town 2-0 in the final at Brandon United on Monday night to cap a fine season’s work.

Peter Crawford was Wheatley’s two-goal hero, with Lee Westgarth man of the match.

It is only Wheatley’s third honour since joining the Alliance League, following victories in the Mark Blake Memorial Trophy in 2009 and 2011.

Bishop Auckland Reserves lost the Clem Smith Bowl final 2-1 to Hartlepool Reserves at Shildon on Tuesday night.

Chris Quinn struck for Bishop, but a Rhys Morris brace gave Pool the edge. Liam Bain shone for Bishop.