Northern League: Youngster Adamson quick to make a big impression on his Easington Colliery debut

Easington Colliery climbed to sixth place in Division Two thanks to a commanding 4-0 win over lowly Willington on Saturday.

Monday, 7th November 2016, 11:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 2:53 pm
Sunderland RCA's John Butler (red) tries to create an opening against Marske United on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady

Luke Page made the breakthrough after a quarter of an hour, reacting quickest to fire home the rebound after Reece Kenney’s penalty, for a foul on Jack Pounder, was saved by Stephen Robinson.

Page later hit the bar before Easington went 2-0 ahead early in the second half, Pounder showing good awareness as he picked up the ball just inside the box and beat Robinson with a low strike.

The introduction of debutant sub Liam Adamson killed off Willington.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The 17-year-old netted within a minute of getting on, flicking the ball up himself before firing home in style.

Adamson had the last word in stoppage time, driving an effort into the bottom corner after a clever run.

Durham City missed the chance to close the gap on leaders Team Northumbria, when they went down 2-1 at Thornaby

While the front-runners were beaten 3-2 by Billingham Town, second-top City also succumbed to Teesside opposition.

Karl Charlton fired past goalkeeper Daniel Gladstone to give Thornaby a 40th-minute lead.

City equalised through Bradley Hird, who found himself free in the box in 56 minutes, but Lewis Green smashed home Thornaby’s winner 15 minutes from time, following good work by Stephen Gamble.

Stephen Oakley’s header and two goals in three minutes from Craig Hutchinson saw Billingham Town rock the leaders with their 3-2 away win, after trailing.

Tow Law Town drew 1-1 at home to Northallerton.

Liam Whitworth opened the scoring for the home side after a Scott Oldfield free-kick found him in the box and he headed home past goalkeeper James Briggs.

But Northallerton equalised in bizarre fashion in the 65th minute, when goalkeeper Kyle Etherington miskicked a back pass from Oldfield and the ball found the net.

Although bottom club Esh Winning are still nine points from safety, they showed good spirit in a 1-1 draw at fellow strugglers Darlington RA.

Esh opened the scoring early on, when Callum Boakes ran onto a through ball and fired past goalkeeper Chris Sawyer in the seventh minute.

It looked likely that they would take all three points until the 90th minute, when Jamie Kilcran’s header rescued RA.

Brandon United lifted themselves away from the relegation zone, with a fine 3-2 win at Norton & Stockton Ancients, thanks to efforts from Lewis Martin (2) and Joe Calvert.

Lowly Crook Town were heavily beaten by 4-0 at promotion-chasing Blyth Town. Goals from John Grey, Liam Gillesphey, Malky Morien, with his first for the club, and Gary Day were too much for the visitors.

Billingham Synthonia disappointed in losing 1-0 at home to improving Whickham, who grabbed all three points in the last minute, Ross Pearce converting a penalty.

In Division One, champions Shildon defeated Jarrow Roofing 3-0.

Daniel Moore headed past goalkeeper Andrew Hunter in the 16th minute and added a second header just before the break.

Amar Purewal made it three with a 56th-minute header.

Consett, in seventh, continued their good form with a 2-0 win at Newcastle Benfield.

Steven Tobin’s own goal and terrific strike from Lewis Teasdale did the damage.

West Auckland are just four points above the relegation zone after suffering a 2-0 home defeat to Whitley Bay.

Alex Kempster headed home from eight yards after eight minutes. West had Darren Richardson sent off and Bay eventually capitalised, Kempster sending a fine shot into the roof of the net.