Northern League: Ryhope endure a nightmare as Benfield blast 11

Ryhope CW have endured a difficult time in their first ever season in Division One of the Ebac Northern League.
Matty Waters scored for Washington in last night's draw with Bishop AucklandMatty Waters scored for Washington in last night's draw with Bishop Auckland
Matty Waters scored for Washington in last night's draw with Bishop Auckland

But the injury-plagued Wearsiders suffered their worst 90 minutes so far last night, crashing 11-1 at Newcastle Benfield.

Prolific marksman Paul Brayson was unstoppable on the night, hitting a double hat-trick, while Ryu Williamson weighed in with a treble.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

William Hudson and Dylan McEvoy also struck, while Conor Winter bagged Ryhope’s consolation goal.

They now face a big task lifting spirits for Saturday’s big FA Vase tie at Stockport Town.

Washington held Bishop Auckland to a 1-1 draw, picking up a useful point as they look to steer clear of the drop zone.

Bishops took the lead through Adam Nicholls three minutes before the break, capitalising on a defensive mistake to fire past keeper Dale Connor.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Summer signing Matty Waters hauled Neil Hixon’s men back on terms nine minutes into the second half, converting from a corner.

Chester-le-Street blew a three-goal lead in their six-pointer away to fellow strugglers West Allotment Celtic.

The Cestrians, thumped 9-1 at Consett last weekend, rallied impressively from that setback and stormed 3-0 in front with goals from Callum Johnston, Alex White and Dominic Laws.

In the second half, though, Celtic staged a remarkable fightback, sparked by two goals in a minute.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The first, after 51 minutes, saw Paul Stoneman head home a corner, and then Stephen Young reacted first after Shaun Reay’s shot had hit the bar.

The equaliser came just before the hour mark, courtesy of Dale Pearson. A free-kick landed at his feet and he fired the ball home past Jack Wilson.

Consett had a narrow 1-0 win at Penrith, Daniel Hawkins stabbing home from close range on 20 minutes.

In-form Easington Colliery went down 2-0 away to Hebburn Town in the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

William Jarvis-Smith opened the scoring on 15 minutes, and three minutes later Chris Thompson flicked home a header.

Tow Law Town progressed with a comfortable 4-0 win at Crook Town.

Two goals in three minutes midway through the first half, from Dean Thexton and Matty Soulsby, and a further two goals in the last five minutes, a second from Thexton and a Jordan Lee shot in the last minute, completed the scoring.

Heaton Stannington went through to the next round after winning with a single goal at Blyth Town, who have signed Dunston UTS striker Malky Morien.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The winner came from the penalty spot in the 74th minute when Sam Walton converted past goalkeeper Matthew Crook, who had earlier saved a 10th-minute penalty.

Northallerton won 2-1 at Norton and Stockton Ancients, with Thomas Atkinson bagging both goals before Ryan Braithwaite grabbed a late reply.