Northern League: Five alive Red Star on song to outgun West Auckland

Seaham Red Star produced a terrific performance to outgun West Auckland Town 5-1 in Saturday's depleted Division One programme.

Monday, 14th November 2016, 12:00 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:01 pm
Seaham Red Star (red/white) cut through West Auckland on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady

Chris McCabe’s side were on fire from the first whistle and were twice denied by fine saves from Gareth Shaw early on, denying Warren Byrne and Craig Lynch.

The breakthrough finally came on 33 minutes in a slick attacking move, with Byrne’s shot from 20 yards beating the dive of goalkeeper Shaw.

On 49 minutes, it was 2-0, after Robbie Bird placed the ball nicely past keeper Shaw following a Lee Hetherington cross.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Kieran Galbraith pounced to make it 3-0, swooping following a good save from Shaw to keep out an effort from Lynch.

Former Sunderland forward Lynch grabbed the goal he deserved in the 77th minute, when his right-foot shot beat the outstretched keeper to make it 4-0.

West Auckland scored a late consolation goal from the penalty spot, Adam Burnicle converting in the 90th minute, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

In stoppage time, substitute Luke Proctor marked his return from a long injury lay-off by completing Red Star’s nap hand.

Washington went down 2-1 at home to Whitley Bay to stay in fifth-bottom spot, but now only three points clear of the drop zone, albeit with a game in hand.

Whitley took a 25th minute lead, when Callum Patton scored direct from a free-kick, beating Dale Connor in the Washington goal.

Washington improved in the second half and deservedly equalised after 64 minutes, when Paul Kane eventually fired the ball home.

Excellent goalkeeping from Thomas Flynn denied them three times in the attack until the ball fell to Kane.

Bay, though, won it four minutes from time after being awarded a penalty.

Andrew Robertson was fouled in the box and Patton scored his second of the game when he belted the penalty past Connor.

Bishop Auckland slipped to a 3-2 defeat at Ashington, despite having Michael Hoganson and Andrew Johnson on target.

Dan O’Reilly and two-goal Ben Harmison netted for the Colliers.

Jarrow Roofing went down 2-1 at West Allotment Celtic, whose victory hugely boosted their survival bid.

Two magnificent strikes from Michael Hall and Chris Douglass ensured a league double over Roofing for the home side, with Dan Kirkup pulling one back for the lacklustre visitors.

Consett outgunned bottom club Guisborough Town 4-1, as Michael Sweet (2), Daniel Craggs and Luke Sullivan all got in on the act.