Newcastle United news: Magpies legend hits out at Mike Ashley, Toon youngster earns international call-up
Newcastle United’s crunch Premier League clash at Brighton and Hove Albion is less than a day away.
Steve Bruce’s side prepare to face one of their closest relegation rivals at the Amex Stadium on Saturday, a result which could ultimately define their season.
But first, it’s all eyes on Fulham’s home game with Leeds United tonight. A win for the Cottagers but will see United drop into the bottom three.
Here are the latest headlines surrounding the Magpies:
Steve Bruce provides injury update at Newcastle United
Bruce has confirmed Miguel Almiron could feature against Brighton after being spotted in training with week.
Asked if Almiron could be involved tomorrow, Bruce replied: “He’s got a chance. We’ll see.”
Meanwhile, Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin are making good progress, but won’t feature until after the international break at the earliest.
Bruce, United’s head coach said: “They (Wilson and Almiron) are both back on the grass.
“He (Wilson) is well into his rehabilitation, the same goes for Almiron. He trained for the first time yesterday. We’ll see how he is. Things are obviously improving.
"The same goes for Saint-Maximin. We knew Saint-Maximin and Callum, in particular, were nasty muscle injuries, which were obviously going to take time. You have to let nature take it’s course."
Elliot Anderson receives England under-19s call-up
Exciting Newcastle prospect Anderson has been called up to the England under-19s squad ahead of a training camp at St George’s Park next week.
Anderson, born in Whitley Bay, has been capped by Scotland at under-16s to under-18s level, however no fixtures or training camps have been arranged for the upcoming international break.
Because England are staging a training camp only, Anderson is eligible to join up with Foster’s squad, despite his international registration with Scotland.
Anderson can switch allegiance from Scotland to England as long as he doesn’t represent the former in a senior competitive fixture.
Rob Lee: Newcastle training ground ‘worst’ in the Premier League
Newcastle legend Rob Lee believes Mike Ashley’s asking price is putting off other potential buyers.
Ashley is currently fighting to revive the takeover bid involving the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, PCP Partners and the Reuben brother after a deal collapsed last year.
It is believed the consortium remain interested in purchasing the club but will only return to the table when given assurances that a deal will be waved through by the Premier League.
And should the deal fail during legal proceedings, Lee is worried the Sports Direct tycoon’s valuation of the club will deter further investors.
He told talkSPORT2: “The owner hasn’t changed, it’s still Mike Ashley, he’s the one dealing with all these people, so you do wonder how much he wants to sell it and how much he’s asking for.
“If you look at it, all the [Premier League] grounds are much better than St James’ Park, the training ground is probably the worst in the Premier League, what are you getting for your £330m?
“You haven’t got players who are worth [big money], I don’t know what you’re getting, so I understand why people are reluctant to pay the £330m.”