Mike Ashley 'furious' at Newcastle United takeover delay as Magpies miss out on £4m midfielder

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is furious about the adjournment of the arbitration case with the takeover saga now set to resume in early 2022.

Friday, 23rd July 2021, 3:07 pm
Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley. (Photo by LEE SMITH/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

That’s according to 90min after the bid involving PCP Partners, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the Reuben brothers suffered further delays.

The consortium agreed to purchase the Magpies from Ashley in April last year but 15 months on, a decision is yet to be reached after the Premier League refused to approve the deal via its owners and directors test.

Ashley had hoped United’s owners-in-waiting would be handed the keys to St James’s Park this summer, so is said to be left furious with Monday’s outcome.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A source reportedly told 90min: "Ashley is not happy at all all, he did not think this would be rumbling on into 2022, he wants this finalised. The consortium is still keen to do a deal, but nobody knows how long that will last. It could be indefinite."

Despite the delay, Ashley is said to still firmly believe that the takeover will go through following arbitration.

Magpies show ‘serious’ interest in USA international

Newcastle have reportedly shown serious interest in Tottenham Hotspur defender Cameron Carter-Vickers.

The USA international spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, where he briefly worked with United assistant coach Graeme Jones.

With Florian Lejeune sold to Alaves, Bruce is a defender light and as reported by 90min, Carter-Vickers could be a potential replacement.

The 23-year-old has been the subject of an enquiry from Newcastle, while a number of other clubs, including Celtic, are also said to be keen.

Mario Lemina closes in on France switch

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina looks set to turn down a move to Newcastle in favour of joining Nice.

However, as per reports in France, Lemina has opted against joining United after travelling to the south of France on Thursday evening to finalise a move to Nice.

Lemina, signed by the Saints for £15.4m in 2017, spent last season on loan at relegated Fulham having fallen out of favour under Ralph Hasenhuttl.