Durham Sunday League: Ryan strike sinks Burnside dreams and sets up Garden party

Chester Garden Farm hoisted the Stepy's Coaches President's Trophy, edging home 1-0 against battling Burnside WMC in a dramatic final at New Ferens Park.

Saturday, 16th April 2016, 8:30 am

Burnside were rocked by the dismissal of Lee Knight and not even a man-of-the-match display by sub Kriss Jobling could deny Garden Farm, who sealed victory with a single Ryan Johnson strike.

Jordan Gibson starred for Garden Farm, who are third in Division Three, 17 points adrift of second-top Burnside who have already clinched promotion and are aiming to pip Durham County to the title.

Houghton Town were the better side for large spells and capitalised on poor early defending to win 3-1 at Brandon Sports Club in the Premier Division.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Houghton created chances and converted three, with Cameron Fenton, Aidan West and Gary Davison on target.

Keeper Robert Barron starred in vain for Brandon, whose marksman was Oliver Graham. Sub Daniel Grant was Houghton’s man of the match.

Hilda Park are heading for relegation and, despite taking the lead with a Jamie Gordon screamer, succumbed 8-4 at Chilton WMC.

Jamie Gordon, Moss and Jak Gordon completed Hilda’s haul, as star man Michael Searby (2), David Harrison, Joe Cornbill, Kieran Harnett, Byron Brown, Nicky Pickford and an own goal steered Chilton home. Marc Smith stood out for Hilda.

Newton Aycliffe WMC edged home 1-0 against Sacriston Cricket Club.

A combination of solid defending and goalkeeping on a poor pitch kept Sacriston level at the break, and they held on until two minutes from time when Sean Johnson forced the ball over the line after a fine save by Joe Thompson, who was magnificent throughout.

Pelaw Grange Dogs bagged a third straight win, beating Sacriston WMC 2-1, thanks to Jordan Stevens’ double, with Luke Wilson responding. Brian Allen starred for Pelaw.

Ouston Cherry Tree closed in on the First Division title with a hard-earned 1-0 victory at lowly Houghton Chilton Lodge, who are in big relegation danger.

Lodge keeper Craig Johnson was outstanding throughout, but the breakthrough came on the hour mark as Josh Scott’s shot from outside the box was fumbled up in the air by the keeper for Andrew Clarkson to nod home. Both sides were reduced to 10 men by the end.

Ouston’s Joe Wilkinson was sent off for a last man challenge, before Houghton’s Martin Armstrong was sent off for his protest after the ref had appeared to award Ouston a spot-kick, only for him to give a direct free-kick in the box after dismissing the player, a decision that baffled most in attendance.

Waldridge Park ran out 6-2 winners against Ferryhill Dynamos in their fourth game in eight days.

The hosts dominated from the start and were four up at half-time. Joe Hughes capitalised on a poor clearance to slot home the opener, then Steve McDonald stepped up to hit a free-kick over the wall and into the net.

Adam Campbell-Bell worked hard to add a double, though Ferryhill improved on the restart and netted twice, through Thomas Olley and Jonathan Mason. Campbell-Bell grabbed his hat-trick from just inside the box, and later added a fourth from a fine solo run.

Callum Sweeney starred for Dynamos.

Durham County Seniors were thumped 5-1 by visitors Washington Sandpiper.

Craig Smith (2), star man Wayne Kennedy, Gary Allen and Ross Docherty sparked Sandpiper, with Josh Gregory replying.

Ushaw Moor pipped Langley Park 3-2 in a nip and tuck game in Division Two, courtesy of Scott Nattrass’s brace and an Andrew Smith strike.

Stephen Clifford bagged both for Langley, who also hit the woodwork twice in a game switched to Ushaw’s pitch.

Pelton Crown’s superior finishing won an entertaining game 9-4 at Kelloe WMC.

Keith Lines fired a clinical hat-trick, backed by doubles from Mark Foster and Kris Lawton. Paul Shaw and Scott Simpson also notched, with Connor Shaw man of the match.

Kelloe goals came from Tony Braithwaite, Michael Hogg, Michael Soppitt and star man Karl Smith.

Washington Cricket Club outgunned Ferryhill Community Hub 5-0 in midweek, thanks to Andrew Elliott, star man Dan Ryan, Lewis Jopling, Alan Oliver and Paul Terrell.

Hetton New Inn had a few near-misses in their 5-0 home Third Division defeat to leaders Durham County, who enjoyed braces from Alex Hird and Jack Carr.

Joe Kerry also notched, with Andrew Bartle star man for County.

Chester Garden Farm and Washington Jays produced a 1-1 draw. Sub Michael Toon netted for Farm, whose star man was Jordan Gibson.

Burnside WMC outgunned Chester-le-Street AFC 3-0, with man of the match Max Stoker leading the way.

He scored alongside efforts from Kriss Jobbing and Jon Jordison.

Burnside also won 4-1 at Lumley Snooker to go joint top in midweek, with Grant Craig and Craig Ellison both striking twice. Ben Haddock notched for Lumley, who had Dan Young red-carded.

Eppleton Cricket Club did just enough to defeat Durham Federation 4-3 in Division Four.

Star man Liam Ord, Ben Harrison, Graham Galley and Connor Smith all struck, with Federation rueing their string of missed chances.

Stuart Ross, Ben Pearson and Jordan Wingfield netted for Federation.

Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest won 4-2 at Durham Buffaloes Head, who bossed the game at times but failed to take their opportunities.

Buffaloes took an early lead after constant pressure with a cool finish by Aiden Herron. Witton quickly equalised with an own goal from a David Calcutt cross, but Herron restored the lead before Calcutt finished off Scott Bradley’s cross to make it 2-2.

Mark Burden’s sweet 20-yarder made it 3-2 to Witton, and Calcutt added a late fourth.

Newton Hall Jovial Monk finished their season on a high with a topsy-turvy 3-2 win over Ouston Juniors.

A fast start, with two goals inside 10 minutes, set up Monk. Adam Baister finished at the second attempt after a brilliant run by Sam Fenwick, then Baister turned provider for David Wile to tap in.

Ouston roared out of the blocks in the second half. Scott Louis pulled a goal back, catching out keeper Robert Berry, and then, 20 minutes from time, Carl Moxon headed an equaliser.

They pressed for a winner, but Monk struck on the counter-attack, Mark Emmerson finding Matt Williams, who curled home. Conner Anderson stood out for Ouston.