Durham Sunday League: Haddock the final hero as Lumley bowl over cricketers

Lumley Snooker Club lifted the D&P Trophies Knockout Cup following a dramatic 3-2 final win over Ushaw Moor Cricket Club.

Saturday, 9th April 2016, 8:30 am

Ushaw Moor had most of the early possession at New Ferens Park, but the first clear-cut chance fell to Lumley’s Ben Haddock, who, after breaking clear, blazed his shot high and wide.

Lumley fell behind with a bizarre own goal on 20 minutes, Ralph Watson overhitting a back pass which swerved viciously to bamboozle keeper Daniel Fleming.

Lumley deservedly equalised just before half-time, as Haddock stooped low to glance a Chris Dawson cross just out of keeper Michael Watson’s reach.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ushaw Moor regained the lead on 71 minutes, Michael Abson slotting home from close range, but Anthony Jones equalised 11 minutes later, despite looking suspiciously offside.

Both sides had chances to win it in a storming final eight minutes, but man of the match Haddick grabbed the glory with his second goal of the game.

Scott Nattrass was Ushaw Moor’s top man.

Houghton Town claimed a 3-0 Premier Division win over Chilton WMC in a hard-fought midweek win to keep their title push on track, while Brandon Sports Club drew 1-1 with Sherburn.

Sherburn led with a free-kick, but Karl Turner levelled direct from a corner.

Brandon earlier drew 2-2 at Sedgefield St Edmund’s, with Andrew Morris and Paul Eilles netting.

Second-top Newton Aycliffe WMC, five points behind Houghton with a game in hand, walloped Sherburn Village WMC 5-0, courtesy of Daniel Mellanby (2), Gavin Wilson, Jordan Lavery and Reed Molloy.

Pelaw Grange Dogs won 3-1 at Chilton WMC, who had Matthew Jackson sent off. Nicky Pickford fired the consolation.

Ouston Cherry Tree won 3-1 at morning leaders Whitehills to go top in Division One, with five games in hand.

Whitehills, who had Steven Boroumand sent off, struck first when a long-range free-kick was deflected in by Ryan Grayson, but Ouston dominated the rest of the game.

They levelled when Mark Bailes’ free-kick evaded everyone apart from Andrew Clarkson, who tapped in at the far post.

Chad Brennan coolly slotted home a second, following more good work from Bailes, and he headed in for 3-1 from substitute Micky Ross’s classy free-kick.

Bottom club Chester Park Inn impressively outgunned Ferryhill Dynamoes 5-1, running the show from the start.

Michael Mclean, Allen Robson, Gary Booth, sub Lewis Holmes and Stephen Wood notched, with Josh Gash replying. Dynamos had Marco Oswald sent off.

Dynamoes beat Houghton Chilton Lodge 2-1 in midweek, after trailing. Kurt Seymour’s stunning finish levelled matters, then he converted a matchwinning penalty. Lodge finished strongly but an equaliser eluded them.

Waldridge Park cruised to a 6-2 victory at Washington Sandpiper, whose marksmen were Alan Wilson and Stephen Burns.

Coxhoe Red Lion won 1-0 at West Rainton, thanks to Adam Strong’s goal. Mark Watson starred, with John Horn best for Rainton.

Ferryhill Celtic need just one more point to clinch the Division Two title.

A 1-1 draw at second-top Framwellgate Moor WMC kept them stay six points clear, with Fram having two games to play.

Ian Field netted for Fram, whose top man was keeper James Rutherford, with Andrew Agar replying.

Third-top High Handenhold Bird Inn were good 3-1 winners at injury-hit Langley Park.

Bird broke the deadlock with a fine, left-footed Shane Swift strike, but Steven Cummings equalised.

Bird had the edge in a scrappy second half, with Jonny Swift’s penalty and a fine 20-yard lob by Thomas Illingworth sealing the victory.

Pelton Crown romped home 13-2 at Bishop Middleham, with five-goal John Morris leading the way.

Kris Lawton and Mark Foster fired hat-tricks, with Connor Shaw (2) completing the rout.

Bede Lodge SC lost 2-1 at home to Washington Cricket Club, with Paul Richardson’s goal outgunned by an Adam Smith brace.

Keeper Jordan Craggs shone for Bede.

Washington Cricket won 3-1 at Pelton Crown in midweek, thanks to Graham Stephenson’s clinical hat-trick, with Mark Foster replying. Chris Trueman starred for the cricketers.

The cricketers also beat Bishop Middleham 3-0, thanks to Paul Terrell, Stephen Conlin and Richard Logan.

Hetton New Inn edged a 1-0 victory over Sedgefield Social Club to move clear of trouble in Division Three.

An evenly matched game was decided by a fantastic free-kick from Keith Finch after a mazy run from Francis drew a late challenge on the edge of the box.

Michael Adcock starred for Sedgefield.

Dubmire WMC had two-goal Mark Liddle and Stephen Donkin on target in a 3-3 draw with Quarrington Hill WMC in their bottom-three duel. James Murray starred.

Second-top Burnside WMC revelled in Craig Ellison’s double as they beat Chester Garden Farm 2-0. Lewis Turnbull was star man, with keeper Michael Toon best for Farm.

Leaders Durham County - three points clear of Burnside, who have a game in hand - were good value for a 5-2 win at Washington Jays, who relied on Reece Wanless and an own goal.

Alex Hird and Craig Mountain fired braces for County, with Joe Jenkinson also on target. Chris Brown starred for County, Chris Lorraine for Jays.

Newton Hall Jovial Monk secured a 3-1 success at Durham Buffaloes Head in Division Four.

Monk broke the deadlock when David Wile headed in a cross from Antony Waterson, but Buffs deservedly levelled before half-time, thanks to a well-worked goal, slotted home by Jay Stirk.

Monk dominated the second half and home keeper Gregg Remmer made some great saves. Two goals were disallowed, but Adam Baister found Wile, who brilliantly slotted home for 2-1 before completing his hat-trick late on.

Matthew Williams shone for Monk.

Bearpark WMC lost 2-0 at home to Bowburn in an entertaining game which could have gone either way.

Lee Jennings fired a brace past man-of-the-match home keeper Lee Scales. Jody White starred for Bowburn, who clinched promotion with the win and need a point for the title.

Ouston Juniors, who need to win their final two games to pip second-top Lumley to promotion, overwhelmed Durham Federation 5-0, with Ben Pearson star man for the well-beaten visitors.