Durham Sunday League: Chris strikes Savage late blow on Wild Boar All-Stars

Whitehills pipped Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars 2-1 in an entertaining First Division match, winning it five minutes into stoppage time.

Saturday, 30th January 2016, 7:30 am

Houghton led after half an hour when Rob Thompson knocked home from close range.

Whitehills equalised two minutes into the second half, with a fine effort from Ryan Grayson, and the game remained at 1-1 until the dying moments when Whitehills were awarded a left-wing corner. The ball was swung into the near post and ended up in the back of the net as Craig Hilton and Chris Savage combined to get the ball over the line.

Defeat was cruel on the hard-working visiting defence of Dean Clark, Philip Thompson, Joe Robinson and Chris Rogerson.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ouston Cherry Tree defeated Coxhoe Red Lion 3-1, coming from a goal down at the break.

Jordan Stannard had Lion deservedly in front at the break, but the home side took control on the restart and finished good winners, thanks to Michael Ross, Richard Brennan and Mark Ramsay.

West Rainton deservedly beat an under-par Chester Park Inn 2-0, with sub Dan Summerbell and Steven Bowes on target.

Bede Lodge SC raced out of the blocks, hitting four goals in the first half hour in a 5-1 Division Two romp at Kelloe WMC.

Bede missed five good chances in the first 10 minutes but remained on top and cruised home as Mark Hislop’s brace was added to by Jonathan Hodgson, David Duke and Daniel Mann, with Sean Richardson starring.

Richard Peareth grabbed a consolation for Kelloe after a rare mistake by keeper Jordan Craggs, with Michael Graham their top performer.

Langley Park hit three goals in the first 15 minutes to outgun Pelton Crown 3-0.

Stephen Clifford was the hat-trick hero for Langley, who defied the difficult conditions to make the most of Crown’s off-day. Keeper Kerry Moralee made some good saves to keep his clean sheet.

High Handenhold Bird Inn rocked high-flying hosts Framwellgate Moor WMC, winning 3-1 away.

Thomas Illingworth was rewarded for his efforts with a brace, with Jonathan Swift also netting. Lewis Coborn struck for Moor.

Pittington and Ferryhill Community Hub drew 0-0 in a tight game on a very soft pitch, with Michael Pattison star man for the visitors.

Bearpark secured a 3-2 Fourth Division victory at Eppleton Cricket Club.

The visitors stormed three up thanks to Ryan Lansley, Jack Bainbridge and Dylan Crooks and survived in the second half despite having keeper David Brown sent off.

Star man Keith Scott and Liam Ord gave Eppleton hope, but Bearpark held on.

Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest pipped Newton Hall Jovial Monk 3-2

David Calcutt set up Dan Cooke for the hosts’ opener, but Monk rallied to hit the post twice, equalise with a 20-yarder from Adam Baister and then go 2-1 up, Matt Williams scoring on the rebound after keeper Simon Tweedy parried a long-range shot from Liam Oudnie.

Mick Bradley hit the bar before Witton responded, Alan Lambert flicking in Calcutt’s cross to level, then Calcutt timed his run well to round the keeper for a dramatic, late winner.

Houghton Town enjoyed a 2-0 Premier Division victory at leaders Sacriston Cricket Club. The pitch cut up badly, preventing a good game from breaking out.

Town made the breakthrough, capitalising on soft defending, then added a killer second goal midway through the second half.

Sacriston WMC won 4-1 at Hilda Park to climb to fifth.

Sacriston started strongly, racing into a 2-0 lead thanks to Ryan Bell and Chris Mordue. Hilda pulled one back with a fantastic header from outside the box by Chris Watson, breaking his goal drought in style, but visiting sub Sam Renwick put the game to bed with two second-half strikes past stand-in keeper Dan Foster, who made a string of fine saves.

Lumley Snooker Club handed out a 12-1 drubbing to High Shincliffe Avenue in Division Three.

Four first-half goals were followed by eight after the break as six-goal Daniel Young led the way.

Star man Ben Haddock added a hat-trick, with Chris Dawson, James Laidler and Robert Laws also notching.

Quarrington Hill WMC drew 0-0 with Chester-le-Street AFC, having dominated the first half and missing two good chances as well as being denied by a string of excellent saves. Hill also had a late penalty shout rejected.

Chester Garden Farm proved too strong for Hetton New Inn in a 10-0 romp, with Tom Wray firing a treble.

Bailey Hunter, Dan Johnson and Adam Goodyear all struck twice, with Stephen Kirkup also netting.

Durham County demolished Dubmire 6-0, but were only one up at the break. Jack Carr (2), Joe Kerry, Stanley Ogunsuyi, Andrew Bartle and Bradley Hird all struck.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club edged past Bishop Middleham 2-1 on a poor pitch to win through to the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy final.

Scott Nattrass and Paul Taylor grabbed the goals in a scrappy game which Bishop felt they dominated. The visitors had a goal disallowed and later levelled at 1-1 when Adam Partington finished off Steven Ferguson’s pass.

Durham Federation outgunned Durham Buffaloes Head 5-0 in their second round tie, running riot after a tight first period.

Conor Parker-Platt, Matthew Wilkie, Callum Adamson and two-goal Ben Pearson did the damage. Simon Booth starred for Buffaloes.

Pelton RAOB won a close battle 1-0 at Brandon Sports Club in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy.

Home keeper Ian Myers was the busier goalie, but Brandon went closest to scoring, hitting the post. Buffs won it when Chris Winn converted a disputed penalty.

Pelaw Grange Dogs also progressed, beating Ferryhill Dynamoes 2-0, scoring two well-worked Jordan Stevens goals in the first half.

Dynamoes dominated the second half for large periods but could not find the net.

Chilton WMC beat neighbours Ferryhill Celtic 2-1 after extra time in a tremendous Ramside Hall Hotel Cup-Winners’ Cup tie, despite being down to nine men.

Celtic led at half-time, Luke Thompson netting after a defensive slip-up, but Nicky Pickford equalised from the spot.

Chilton were reduced to nine men with disputed red cards, but they stayed strong and a superb individual goal from Vinny Gash won the day, running with the ball from his own half before smashing the ball left-footed past keeper Kris Carr.

Sherburn Village outgunned hosts Ouston Juniors 4-1 in the Stonebridge Inn League Cup third round.

Sherburn, playing a first game since November, capitalised on a fumble by the keeper to go ahead, then hit three goals in 10 minutes to storm 4-0 up - through Scott Arnott, Garry Dodds and Jamie Abbott - before skipper Cal Winship converted a penalty consolation.

Houghton Chilton Lodge squeezed home 2-1 at Durham County Seniors in the JD Taxis Guards Cup.

County led 1-0 with just 10 minutes left, thanks to sub Adam Birks’ neat close-range finish, but a mistake by stand-in keeper Damien Potts and a controversial winner, with County claiming offside, saw Lodge through.

Newton Aycliffe WMC exited the FA Sunday Cup, losing their much-postponed clash 3-1 to Northumberland side Burradon & New Fordley.