Durham Sunday League: Burnside on cloud nine as promotion dream comes closer

Burnside WMC romped to a 9-0 win at Chester-le-Street AFC to keep their Third Division promotion push on track.

Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 7:30 am
TC Plastics (red) try to block a Ryhope Railway Inn clearance in the Sunderland Sunday League's Billy Pemberton Memorial Cup final at Ford Quarry on Good Friday. Picture by Kevin Brady

They were five goals up in 15 minutes, thanks to Grant Craig, Lewis Turnbull, Dan Cummings and a Craig Ellison double.

Ellison volleyed home to complete his hat-trick, with Craig also on target to make it 7-0 at the interval. Max Stoker and Jopling completed the rout.

Durham County stayed three points clear of Burnside, having played two games more, thanks to a 3-2 win at Lumley Snooker Club.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Keeper Philip Parker was outstanding for the visitors, whose match winners were Joe Kerry (2) and Alex Hird.

Dubmire WMC deservedly proved too strong for lacklustre Hetton New Inn, with Stephen Donkin’s brace inspiring a 3-0 victory. Mark Liddle also notched, with Gary Johnson man of the match.

Hetton had two strong penalty claims waved away.

Chester Garden Farm saw off Sedgefield SC 3-1, with Ryan Johnson plundering a hat-trick. Matthew Goodyear was star man.

Title favourites Ouston Cherry Tree beat Durham County Seniors 2-0 in a crucial battle of second and third in Division One.

Chad Brennan broke the deadlock from a through ball by star man Stuart Pryer, then Daniel James popped up with a rare goal at the second attempt after the keeper had blocked his first effort.

New Brancepeth WMC boosted their survival push with a 3-1 defeat of bottom club Chester Park Inn, moving them six points above the drop zone, albeit having played several more games.

Anthony Bussey’s low strike settled the nerves, though Michael Mclean powerfully headed home a corner to level.

Ryan Burton restored the lead with a 25-yarder from an acute angle, then Andrew Nicholson came off the bench and marked his first appearance in well over a year, following a knee problem, by producing a neat finish under keeper Chris Howard.

Adam Purvis shone for Brancepeth, Stephen Wood for Park Inn.

Leaders Whitehills lost 1-0 in a tight battle against visitors Ferryhill Dynamoes, with Ryan Farley grabbing the only goal in the first half.

Stephen Fisher starred for Whitehills, who had a last-minute penalty claim rejected, with Stephen Ward best for Ferryhill.

Washington Sandpiper threw away a two-goal lead, earned by strikes from star man Alan Wilson and Ross Docherty. as they crashed 3-2 at Coxhoe Red Lion.

Jordan Stannard caused problems for Sandpiper on the restart and the man of the match plundered a brilliant hat-trick to turn it around.

Houghton Town’s Premier Division title ambitions suffered a big setback in a 4-0 defeat at Newton Aycliffe WMC.

The sides produced a cracking game, with Aycliffe flattered by the margin of victory.

Aaron Wright (2), Gavin Wilson and sub Connor Hughes grabbed the crucial goals, beating keeper Niki Lawson, with Anthony Chapman star man for Houghton.

Town remain top, nine points clear of Aycliffe but having played four games more.

Sherburn Village took a big step towards safety by edging home 5-4 against bottom club Pelaw Grange Dogs.

Doubles from James Ellis and Jordan Sanders, backed by a Scott Arnott strike, did the damage. Sherburn joined Brandon Sports Club on 14 points, nine ahead of Hilda Park and 11 better off than Pelaw.

Pelton RAOB slipped to fourth place, behind Aycliffe, after being held 2-2 by Sedgefield St Edmund’s. Peck and McMillan opened and closed the scoring for Buffs, with Stephen Flockett and Simon Ord replying.

Framwellgate Moor WMC capitalised on scrappy passing to come from behind in the second half for a 2-1 win at High Handenhold Bird Inn.

Bird led with a Liam Errington strike, but they could never get their passing going and Fram took advantage as Lewis Coburn and Liam Wrightson notched.

Ferryhill Celtic showed their class as they came from behind to outgun battling Pittington 6-1.

Mark Jacomb notched in the 10th minute for the visitors, but Celtic quickly took command and ran out convincing winners, helped by four Andrew Agar goals.

Jonny Agar and sub Dane Eltringham also netted, beating keeper Simon Coultas.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club rued the failure to capitalise on their dominant possession as Bishop Middleham battled to draw 2-2.

John Cook capped a fine display with two good goals for a weakened Ushaw side.

Paul Taylor and James Richardson netted for Ushaw, with Scott Nattrass star man.

Langley Park won a scrappy match 4-2 at Kelloe WMC after trailing to a dubious Grant Parnaby penalty.

Langley levelled with a well-taken header and stormed 3-1 up before star man Michael Hogg gave Kelloe a lifeline. But the visitors, whose marksmen were James Culter, David McGuire, Jake Davison and Stephen Clifford, hit a killer fourth goal on the break. Craig Bowman starred for Langley.

Eppleton Cricket Club ran out 5-1 winners in a good Fourth Division game at Newton Hall Jovial Monk.

Keeper Karl McDonough made two great saves to deny David Wile to inspire Eppleton, with doubles from Aaron Grievson and man of the match Barry Appleton, plus Liam Ord’s strike, seeing them five up before Monk’s Antony Waterson grabbed a late reply. Chris King starred for Monk.

Bowburn hit back from 3-1 down to secure a 5-3 victory at Durham Federation, thanks to four goals in five second-half minutes.

Fed deservedly led until Jody White poked home an equaliser in a goalmouth scramble. The Durham side, whose marksmen are Scott Walker, Cameron Wilson and Callum Wooler, responded to go 3-1 up with a Luke Coad own goal and an excellent individual strike.

But Bowburn altered their system and it paid off as Adam Kirk and Lee Jennings, set up by Craig Hill’s defence-splitting pass, levelled matters.

Kirk then latched onto a long ball which bounced over the Fed keeper to make it 4-3, with Jennings quickly adding a well-made fifth.

Ouston Juniors dominated from start to finish in a 7-1 demolition of out-of-sorts Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest.

Sam Hedley opened the scoring before a brace from Andy Hall and a fine Danny Lawlor finish made it 4-0 at the break.

Hall completed his hat-trick, then Scott Louis and star man Matty Cornish made it seven before Daniel Cooke fired a late reply for Rest, whose star man was Scott Bradley.

The victory was marred when Ouston sub Nathan Morley fell awkwardly and sustained a broken collarbone.

Waldridge Park clinched their place in the JD Taxis Guards Cup final, edging home 2-1 against Washington Cricket Club.

Waldridge started slowly and were fortunate go go in front when a Washington centre-half, under little pressure, knocked the ball past his own keeper. The cricketers, though, took control, giving Waldridge Park’s defence plenty of work to do, albeit without creating clear chances.

After the break, Waldridge were straight on the front foot and they doubled their lead from a fine passing move, with Jamie Taylor squaring the ball across the area for the oncoming Steve McDonald to shoot low into the bottom corner.

Waldridge missed good chances to seal the victory, and Washington grabbed a late lifeline when sub David Pybus cut the deficit to 2-1, direct from a corner.

But Park, with Wes Delap outstanding, held firm to clinch a third cup final appearances in as many years.

Daniel Ryan stood out for Washington.