Police arrest a 27-year-old man over Birmingham stabbings

Police forensics officers gather evidence on Hurst Walk, (Getty Images)Police forensics officers gather evidence on Hurst Walk, (Getty Images)
Police forensics officers gather evidence on Hurst Walk, (Getty Images)

A 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and seven counts of attempted murder after a series of stabbings in Birmingham in the early hours of Sunday morning.

West Midlands police say that the man was taken into custody at 4am on Monday morning from an address in the south-west of the city. 

The suspect is currently being questioned in custody.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The man was arrested after eight people were stabbed, one fatally, in the early hours of Sunday morning over a time-span of some 90 minutes. 

A 23-year-old man was killed in the attacks and a man and a woman, aged 19 and 32, remain critically ill in hospital after suffering serious stab wounds.

What happened in Birmingham? 

Police were first alerted to the rampage at 12.30am on Sunday morning. They were called to Constitution Hill where a man had sustained a superficial injury. 

Twenty minutes later they were alerted to a second incident at Livery Street where a man had been critically injured and a woman also injured. 

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Police were then called to Irving Street where a 23-year-old man had suffered fatal injuries while another had been seriously injured. 

Ten minutes later a further attack took place at he city's gay village where a 32-year-old woman was seriously injured and two more men sustained less serious injuries. 

What was the motive and what was said after arrest? 

Investigators have said the incident didn't appear to be terrorism, gang or hate crime related. 

West Midlands police have said they believe the rampage was "random".

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Following the arrest, Birmingham Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Steve Graham, said: “Officers worked through yesterday and into the early hours of this morning in a bid to trace the man we believe responsible for these terrible crimes.

He added: “We issued CCTV footage of the suspect and had a strong response from the public. I’d like to thank everyone who shared our appeal and who provided information to the investigation.

“One line of enquiry ultimately led us to an address in the Selly Oak area this morning where a man was arrested.

“Clearly this is a crucial development but our investigation continues.”