Wearside League: Six of the best takes Ashbrooke Belford House into Trophy semi-finals

Ashbrooke Belford House turned on the style to clinch a semi-final spot in the Durham County FA Trophy.

Monday, 5th December 2016, 11:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 3:42 pm
Hall Farm Glasshus (blue) battle against Coxhoe Athletic in Saturday's Durham County Trophy quarter-final. Picture by Tom Banks

They ruthlessly shot down visitors Seaham Red Star Reserves 6-2.

Shaun Fisk and Josh Farquhar gave the Wearsiders a 2-0 lead, but Red Star pulled one back on the half hour.

Mark Green steadied Ashbrooke with a third goal, then Fisk’s second of the afternoon extended the advantage to three.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Michael Bulmer gave Red Star hope by cutting the deficit to 4-2, but Belford made sure of their last-four place with two further goals, including an effort from David Scott.

Hall Farm Glasshus, leaders of the Durham Alliance Combination League, were unlucky to lose out at home to Coxhoe Athletic, going down 3-2 at Leyburn Grove in Houghton.

Dom Joynes marked his 19th birthday in style by giving Coxhoe a fifth-minute lead, but Hall Farm, who knocked Wolviston out in the last round, deservedly equalised after 16 minutes.

Ross Morrow made it 2-1 to the visitors just before the half hour.

Battling Hall Farm continued to fight well and the Sunderland side levelled again only for sub Russell Bradley to fire home Athletic’s winner.

Table-toppers Jarrow won through 5-2 at Annfield Plain.

Plain deservedly scored first, in the fourth minute, but Darren Morton quickly levelled from close range then put Jarrow in front.

Aaron Kah added a third goal from outside the box, just before half-time. Plain got back to 3-2, but the visitors then took command of the tie and Kah killed the hosts off by completing his hat-trick, thanks to a good close-range finish and another fine strike, following an excellent team move.

Hartlepool needed penalties to see off Northern Alliance outfit Gateshead Rutherford.

After the game finished 0-0, Pool won 3-0 in the shoot-out, with 18-year-old goalkeeper Josh Noble capping man-of-the-match performance by making three excellent penalty saves.

Sunderland West End climbed to eighth place in the league after outgunning bottom club Harton & Westoe 3-1 at Ford Quarry.

Michael Wharton gave West End the lead on 20 minutes, but, just three minutes later, Tarudzwa Mawoko equalised for the visitors.

Barry Cook’s men, though, shrugged off the setback to regain their advantage just before the half hour, when Mark Catcheside struck.

Harton stayed in the game but were killed off by a third West End goal midway through the second half, when Wharton notched his second of the game, securing a second successive win.

Silksworth CW maintained fourth place with a 4-1 victory away to Darlington 1883 Reserves,

Stephen Moody’s well-taken double set up Andy Stobbart’s men, then Adam Storey helped himself to a couple of goals, to make it 4-0.

Ethan Harker scored a late consolation for a well-beaten Darlington.

South Shields Reserves were no match for title hopefuls Richmond Town, who consolidated second place with a resounding 4-0 home success.

Ben Darville opened the scoring, beating keeper Robbie Hudson from close range, and Shields were still in the game at half-time, trailing just 1-0, though they were rocked by the dismissal of Harry Simpson following a bad challenge.

But three more goals followed in the second half, Sean Radford heading home midway through before Scott Ryan struck and, four minutes from time, Darville added his second,.

Leam Rangers and Windscale shared the spoils in a close-fought 2-2 draw.

Gavin Williams headed Leam in front, only for Ray Sempill to equalise. Jordan Livingstone gave the Cumbrians the lead, but Liam McVicar came up trumps with 15 minutes to go to rescue a point for the Hilltop men.

The other league match saw Prudhoe Town conceded a two-goal lead as visitors Stokesley SC rallied for a 3-2 victory.

Arron Fletcher and a long-range Derek Waters stunner had Prudhoe on top, but two-goal Robert Moncur and Seb Hanratty turned the game around, lifting Stokesley into ninth place.

Boldon CA progressed to the semi-finals of the Total Sport Alan Hood Charity Cup thanks to a comprehensive 3-0 success at Cleator Moor Celtic.

Josh Houghton made the breakthrough in the first half, with Shaun Carroll and Jack Young killing off the Cumbrians on the restart.

Redcar Athletic are through to the final, in the other half of the draw, after demolishing Wolviston 5-1.

Sam Webster’s penalty put Redcar ahead, but he then saw a second spot-kick well saved by Chris Davidson.

Redcar were awarded a third penalty, converted by Adam Preston, for a 2-0 lead, with Anthony Jones making it three.

Wolviston responded as Daniel Lawson struck, but Preston and Jones netted as the home side ran out good winners.