Wearside League round-up: Ashbrooke ease to win but Silksworth out of cup

TWR Bi Folds Wearside League

Sunday, 11th December 2016, 3:24 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 12:33 pm
Silksworth, in red, lost to Prudhoe in the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup

Ashbrooke Belford House had a comfortable 3-0 away win at South Shields Reserves.

Goals from Stephen Boagey after seven minutes and Sean Fisk after 15 minutes, gave the visitors control of the game.

More action from Silksworth v Prudhoe

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And even after Harry Graham received his marching orders, they scored again late on when Corey Steel outpaced the defence to fire past Robbie Hudson in the Shields goal.

Coxhoe Athletic beat Jarrow 5-4 in a nine-goal thriller with three late goals, but were also 2-0 down after just 28 minutes, when Jonathan Hirst and Paul Burrell gave the visitors a great start.

Ross Morrow pulled one back on 33 minutes, but a Peter Kane header made it 3-1. Stephen Fothergill’s goal made it 3-2, only for Kane to score his second, to make it 4-2.

In a blistering finish to the game, Callum Morris made it 4-3 on 84 minutes and then another shot from Fothergill evened things up at 4-4 just three minutes later, only for Morris to score in the last minute with a sweet left foot drive, to claim three points that they were only dreaming about just six minutes earlier.

More action from Silksworth v Prudhoe

Boldon CA are finding a bit of form and had another resounding win, when they thumped Stokesley SC 5-1.

Adam Drysdale header put them in front after nine minutes, only for Stokesley’s Connor Campbell to equalise after 37 minutes.

Drysdale got his second two minutes later and on 53 minutes, Campbell was shown the red card for a stamping offence.

James Pickering then made it 3-1 after 62 minutes and Ben Cooper beat goalkeeper Jonathan Kinson four minutes later.

It was 5-1 in the last minute of the game, when Adam Bell’s shot found the net.

Seaham Red Star Reserves were getting beaten by 4-0 at Annfield Plain, when Anthony Cowey suffered a horrific broken leg and the game was abandoned after 70 minutes and will be replayed at a later date.

Richmond Town went top of the league after a narrow 1-0 win at home to Gateshead Leam Rangers, with the crucial goal coming in the 43rd minute, when Scott Ryan fired home from 10 yards out.

In the Monkwearmouth Charity Cup, Sunderland West End went through to the second round with an impressive 2-0 away win at Hartlepool.

In a tight game, Sunderland broke away after 63 minutes and Michael Wharton scored after beating goalkeeper Josh Noble.

In the 82nd minute it was 2-0, when Lee Smith scored an excellent solo goal to put his side through to the second round.

Silksworth CW disappointingly lost at home to Prudhoe Town by 2-1, even though they took a 30th minute lead when James Cook scored an excellent opening goal.

But Town were not to be outdone and equalised on 60 minutes, when Derek Waters headed home a cross from a free kick and 10 minutes later took the lead, when Ryan Seabrook shot found the net, beating goalkeeper Philip Smurthwaite.