Warning from firefighters after disposable barbecues sets fire to park bin

This was the damage and mess caused by a blaze started when a disposable barbecue was thrown into a park’s bin.

Monday, 19th April 2021, 4:47 pm
Updated Monday, 19th April 2021, 4:53 pm

A crew from Washington Community Fire Station was sent to Princess Anne Park in the town at 7.25pm yesterday, Sunday, April 18, following reports of a fire.

The team spent around 15 minutes at the scene putting out the blaze, which happened in a bin at its skate park.

Read More

Read More
Thieves raid Sunderland city centre deli just as 'things were starting to look u...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Photos taken by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service show the aftermath of the fire in Princess Anne Park in Washington.

The incident is one of a number Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has attended in recent weeks caused by a disposable barbecue, with the rise in the issue coinciding as more people are able to gather outside due to the easing of lockdown.

Anyone using a barbecue is advised to light it away from sheds, fences and other structures and materials which could catch light.

They are people are advised not to use accelerants and to keep children and pets away at safe distance.

Because they hold their heat for such a long time, people are asked to follow the instructions carefully, place them on level ground and on bricks or paving slabs, allow them to cool down and extinguish the fire fully using water or sand.

The service has also issued an appeal for people to take their rubbish home with them following a visit to an outdoor space to help reduce the risk of it being used to start fires.

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today.

Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on SAFC and new puzzles every day.

With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.