Two taken to hospital after early hours kitchen fire

Two people were taken to hospital after a fire pan caught fire in the kitchen of a home.

Monday, 27th November 2017, 5:46 am
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 10:58 am
Broderick Terrace in Houghton. Photo copyright Google Maps.

Firefighters from Rainton Bridge and North Moor fire stations were called to the end terrace house in Broderick Terrace, off the A182 Houghton Road, just after 12.30am today.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

When the crews arrived, they found one of the householders had managed to put out the blaze.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said two people from the house were taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, one with a burn to their hand and for treatment for the affects of smoke inhalation and another after they too breathed in fumes.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and used a fan to clear the house of smoke, which had filtered through into other rooms, and a thermal imaging camera to ensure the seat of the fire was out.