Top dentist advises us to keep flossing

One of the UK's top cosmetic dentists is calling on people not to stop flossing '“ despite the news that the USA government is no longer encouraging the practice.

Sunday, 7th August 2016, 4:41 pm
Updated Sunday, 7th August 2016, 5:49 pm
Dr Ken Harris of Riveredge Cosmetic Dentistry.

Dentist Dr Ken Harris of Riveredge Cosmetic Dentistry has warned that stopping flossing could set people up for huge dental problems in the future despite arguments to the contrary.

The dentist, who runs practices in Sunderland and Newcastle said: “The only reason that people are saying that flossing may not be effective is because nobody has actually done a credible study on it; what is needed is more quality research.

“Flossing is not about protecting your teeth right now, it’s about keeping your mouth healthy for the future, and you’ll see the benefits in years to come. It’s like an insurance policy; you keep paying, but hope you never need to make a claim.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dr Harris added that many people don’t realise the real purpose of flossing.

“It’s not about getting out pieces of food that might be jammed in your teeth,” he said.

“It’s about being able to remove the really nasty bugs that lurk in your mouth hiding between your teeth. About 75 per cent of these bugs can be removed by normal brushing but the remaining 25 per cent need more effort to reach.”

Dr Harris suggests flossing reduces the risk of losing your teeth in the future, and recommends everyone to do it.

He added: “People should not use the USA decision as a reason to stop flossing.

“By continuing to floss you may not see immediate benefits, but 20 to 30 years down the road when people still have their own teeth, they’ll understand why they did it

“There is absolutely no logical reason at all for people to stop flossing,

“It is an excellent preventative measure and will bring with it many benefits in the long term.”

Multi-award winner Dr Harris is respected across the globe for his expansive knowledge on cosmetic dentistry and he regularly teaches around the world.

He is one of only two Fellows of the British Academy of Aesthetic Dentistry (BACD) which involves him teaching other dentists around the UK.

He is a member of the British Academy of Aesthetic Dentistry (BAAD), and regularly teaches USA dentists at the world-renowned Kois Center programme across in Seattle.