Teenage boy rescued from 20ft deep dry reservoir in Sunderland
A teenage boy had to be rescued by firefighters after becoming stuck at the bottom of a dry reservoir in Sunderland.
A 14-year-old boy became stuck at the bottom of a 20ft deep dry concrete reservoir off Leechmere Road, on Tuesday, May 5.
Firefighters from South Tyneside and Sunderland were called to the scene at around 8.32pm and used rope rescue equipment and a harness to lift the boy out.
The teenager was uninjured and was spoken to by the emergency services. The four fire engines then left the scene at 9.38pm.
A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "We can confirm on the evening of Tuesday, May 4 crews from Farringdon Community Fire Station, South Shields Community Fire Station and Hebburn Community Fire Station were in attendance of an incident at Leechmere Road in Sunderland.
“The incident saw firefighters using specialist ropes to rescue a young person who had become stuck in the disused reservoir.
"The individual was placed into a harness and brought to safety.”
A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “Shortly after 9.30pm yesterday (Tuesday) we were alerted by the ambulance service that a 14-year-old boy had become stuck at the bottom of a dry reservoir off Leechmere Road, Sunderland.
“Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) attended and rescued the teen who was largely uninjured and did not need hospital treatment.
“The teen was given suitable advice about the incident and returned home.”
It is the second time in a matter of months that emergency services have been called to rescue teenagers stuck in the same reservoir.
On September 8, 2020, an 18-year-old woman and a 17-year-old man had climbed to the bottom of the reservoir but were then unable to get back up.
Firefighters from Sunderland Central and rope rescue specialists from South Shields and Hebburn fire stations were called to the scene and used rope rescue equipment to reach the pair and haul them back up to the top.
They were also uninjured but their actions sparked a warning from the fire service, who called on people not to take such risks.