Revealed: Who Sunderland fans believe should be No 1 next season

Sunderland fans have been voting on who they think should be first-choice goalkeeper next season '“ and the results are fairly split.

Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 9:47 am
Updated Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 10:48 am
Vito Mannone

Vito Mannone finished the campaign as Sam Allardyce’s No 1, with youngster Jordan Pickford as back-up on the bench.

England Under-21 star Pickford has been constantly linked with a move to Manchester United this summer, but Allardyce is understood to want to keep him at the Stadium of Light.

Jordan Pickford

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Washington youngster – who played against Watford in the last game of the season – is hoping to push Mannone for a starting role next term.

Fans taking part in an Echo poll on who should line up between the sticks, however, have sided with the Italian as being first choice – but only just.

Mannone picked up 52 per cent of the vote, with Pickford getting the other 48 per cent.

Jordan Pickford