Popular ex-councillor and lecturer seriously ill after horror smash

Terry Haram, outside of the South Shields town hall.Terry Haram, outside of the South Shields town hall.
Terry Haram, outside of the South Shields town hall.
A former South Tyneside councillor is seriously ill in hospital after being involved in a horror smash.

Terry Haram and his wife Margaret were involved in a three-car crash on the A66 at Temple Sowerby, near Penrith, on Monday.

A Dutch-national Jery Bouma, 44, of no fixed address, has been remanded in custody after begin charged with drink driving.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mr Haram, who was a councillor for the Whiteleas ward on South Tyneside Council, for nine years until 2012, and former South Tyneside College lecturer (STC), was airlifted to the The James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough.

Mrs Haram, a librarian at STC, who was also injured, has since been discharged but remains at her husband’s beside.

A family spokesman said: “Terry has been in a stable condition since his first surgery on Monday.

“He has received multiple fractures to his arm and legs and will undergo further reconstructive surgery today.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Margaret, who was also injured, is with Terry at the moment.”

Lindsey Whiterod, OBE, chief executive of South Tyneside College, has offered her support to the couple who live in Whiteleas.

She said: “Margaret and Terry are well known, much liked and highly respected by all here.

“It is an incredible shock, and brings much distress and sadness, to know they have been involved in this dreadful accident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Margaret works as a college librarian, a post in which she is very well thought of, while Terry retired in 2012 as the Head of School in Health, Care and Early Years, having worked at the college for 42 years. He also played a significant role in South Tyneside with the college lecturers’ union NATFHE.

“The thoughts of everyone at South Tyneside College is with Margaret and Terry, and their family, at this incredibly sad and difficult time.”

Coun Ernest Gibson, a Labour councillor for the Whiteleas ward added: “We’re all so very shocked to heard what’s happened and I wish them both a speedy recover.

“I’d worked alongside Terry for a number of years and they both just live round the corner to me. It’s awful and my thoughts are with them both.”