100 new affordable homes for Sunderland set to be built on land left sitting empty for three decades

A hundred new affordable homes are set to be built on a patch of land left sitting empty for almost 30 years.

Tuesday, 6th October 2020, 9:54 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 10:06 am

Council chiefs are set to approve an agreement which will see the 'comprehensive redevelopment' of land at Amberley and Harrogate Street in Hendon.

The site was cleared in the 1990s and has been empty ever since.

Now senior councillors on Sunderland City Council's ruling cabinet are considering a recommendation to enter into an agreement with Thirteen Housing Group to create 100 affordable homes on the land.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The land has at Amberley and Harrogate Street in Hendon has sat empty since the 1990s, but could soon be the site of 100 new affordable homes.

Councillor Rebecca Atkinson, cabinet member for Dynamic City, said: "We - the council - have been having discussions with Thirteen Group. They have been assessing the site and with council support are looking to this new affordable homes development.

"Building new homes is very important for our city so we can provide more choice and variety for all residents, and that includes more new and affordable homes."

The council said in delivering the development, Thirteen Group, a North East-based registered housing provider, has already agreed to support and use local businesses and suppliers.

The report to the cabinet outlines how the 100 homes would be built with the latest Secure by Design principles.

Cllr Atkinson added: "This Hendon site has been empty for far too long and new affordable homes on a previously used brownfield site make for a very good development for local residents.

"I shall be urging my Cabinet colleagues to back this report and look to this new scheme that will go to meeting and improving housing choices, and bringing this land back into use. This agreement will make for some very good news for the Hendon ward."

The council has identified the need for 7,000 new homes across Sunderland in the next ten years and is already working with several housing companies to provide these.

The cabinet meeting to decide on the proposal will take place on Tuesday October 13, and is open to the public.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, council meetings have been taking place remotely. Meetings can be viewed on the council's YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/sunderlandgov/

A message from the Editor:

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to the Sunderland Echo website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.sunderlandecho.com/subscriptions to sign up.

You can subscribe to the newspaper with 20% off here: https://www.localsubsplus.co.uk/

Thank you.