Worker escapes from roof after blow torch fire at Sunderland shop

A worker escaped unharmed from the roof of a disused shop after a blow torch fire.

By Gavin Ledwith
Wednesday, 14 August, 2019, 07:36
The damage to the roof after Tuesday's fire. Picture courtesy of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters spent 45 minutes tackling the blaze in Villette Road, Hendon, Sunderland, after the alarm was raised at 7.45pm on Tuesday.

The roof was slightly damaged and both the disused single-storey shop and an adjoining property suffered smoke damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Someone was working with a blow torch on the roof of the disused building when the fire started accidentally.”

Picture of the roof damage courtesy of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.