Tea light sparks fire in Sunderland bathroom

A plea has been issued by firefighters after a tea light sparked a blaze in a Sunderland bathroom.

Wednesday, 8th January 2020, 5:20 pm
Updated Wednesday, 8th January 2020, 9:46 pm
The blaze caused by a tea light happened in a house in Wingrove Avenue, Fulwell. Image copyright Google Maps.

Crews of firefighters from Marley Park and Sunderland Central were called to a house in Wingrove Avenue, Fulwell, after a report of a fire.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has said a tea light had been placed on a windowsill without a candle holder, with the sill slightly damaged by heat and a roller blind and bath also slightly damaged by heat.

They were called to the scene just before 6.10pm yesterday, Tuesday, January 7, and spent 10 minutes ensuring the fire was out and there was no further risk.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

During the same evening, crews from Wallsend and Byker were called to Illford Road, in Howden, where another fire was started by a tea light in a kitchen of a first floor flat.

The flame ignited a nearby aerosol can, which exploded and caused the occupier’s clothing to catch light.

The net curtains were also wrecked by fire, with carpet badly damaged and the kitchen also partly damaged by smoke.

A spokesperson for the service added: “Crews administered burn shield packs to the casualty who was left in the hands of North East Ambulance Service.

“When using candles, never leave them unattended and make sure that they are not close to anything that could be ignited, or is flammable.

“Better still use a battery operated tea light which has a longer life – to help you have one too.”