It comes as Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) issued a reminder to residents about the dangers and restrictions on controlled burning.
The short video, which was posted on the brigade’s Facebook page, shows a garden fire which was sent in my a concerned resident in Sunderland.
A spokesman for TWFRS said: “This fire could impact the environment, affect shielding neighbours or those with breathing problems and could spread. Please don't light a fire. Be considerate to others and your fire service.”
Sunderland danger driver jailed after leaving pedestrian 'with blood gushing from head' and hospitalised with collapsed lung
"He was unique and one of a kind" - Family pays tribute to 'much-loved' cyclist who died in suspected hit and run collision in Sunderland
Striking new mural by Frank Styles unveiled on landmark Sunderland building Swan Lodge
Sunderland families have their say on council's call for removal of 'unauthorised tributes' from loved ones' graves in city cemeteries
Violent Washington robber broke ex-partner's jaw and raided South Shields newsagents armed with knife
The brigade has seen an increase in fires caused by people burning waste in their gardens, since lockdown was announced.
Figures show that during the same period in 2019 (23rd March – 7th April), TWFRS had 38 fires caused by controlled burning – for the same time period this year it is 82.
The fire service says these fires are often spreading to flammable materials, causing bigger fires and environmental hazards.
TWFRS Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Peter Heath said: “Crews are increasingly responding to garden fires, often ‘bonfires’ that have spread to fences, or other materials or where the fire contains items causing smoke hazardous to human health.
“These fires are a significant source of air pollution and the smoke can include poisonous gases, such as carbon monoxide.
“Our advice is very straightforward and clear – don’t burn household waste, plastics, rubber or any other material, which could cause harmful smoke.”