Sarah Everard vigil cancelled as Reclaim These Streets plans virtual gathering instead
A vigil for Sarah Everard has been cancelled and organisers said details of a “virtual gathering” will be announced instead.
Reclaim These Streets had been planning to host a demonstration on Clapham Common in south London on Saturday, March 13 near to where the 33-year-old went missing.
But organisers said that despite their attempts to work with police to ensure the vigil could go ahead safely, they now felt it could not go ahead.
The group said on Twitter: “We have been very disappointed that given the many opportunities to engage with organisers constructively, the Metropolitan Police have been unwilling to commit to anything.
“While we have had positive discussions with the Lambeth officers present, those from Scotland Yard would not engage with our suggestions to help ensure that a legal, Covid-secure vigil could take place.”
They added that “in light of the lack of constructive engagement from the Metropolitan Police, we do not feel that we can in good faith allow tonight’s event to go ahead”.
Reclaim These Streets said they would “strongly encourage people not to gather this evening on Clapham Common”.
They added: “We will be announcing the details of a virtual gathering later today and would encourage all those originally planning to join us on Clapham Common to take part.”
On Friday, a High Court judge refused to intervene on behalf of the group in a legal challenge over the right to gather for a protest during coronavirus restrictions.
Serving Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens has been charged with Sarah’s kidnap and murder. He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning.