Oven in Sunderland kitchen left damaged in teatime blaze

An oven blaze left part of a kitchen in a Sunderland home damaged.

Monday, 24th June 2019, 11:07 am
Updated Monday, 24th June 2019, 11:49 am
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service were called to Ashwood Street in Ashbrooke following reports of a flat fire. Image copyright Google Maps.

Two crews from Sunderland Central Fire Station were called to Ashwood Street, Ashbrooke, after a report of a flat fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The householder was outside when they arrived, with the teams ensuring the fire, which left the cooker and kitchen bench damaged, was out.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder ovens should be grease-free and to not leave cooking unattended.

The call came at 4.35pm on Sunday, June 23, and the crews left by 4.50pm.