Fire crews praised for quick action as electrical blaze causes evacuation at Sunderland supermarket

Firefighters have been praised for a quick response to tackling a blaze at a Sunderland shopping centre.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service were called to a shopping centre on Portsmouth Road in Pennywell, Sunderland at 10.26am on Thursday, September 22 after a worker saw smoke bellowing from the roof of the building.

The first crew were at the scene within five minutes, followed by two other appliances from Farringdon and Gosforth Community Fire Stations, including an Aerial Ladder Platform.

Hide Ad

Fire service teams worked alongside colleagues at the electricity board to isolate the power supply to investigate the fire.

TWFRS firefighters investigating the location of the blaze.

Crews extinguished the fire, where flames were located in the eaves of the building and left the scene at 12:18pm after tackling the fire for one hour and 47 minutes.

Read More
Landmark Norfolk Hotel where SAFC was formed to enter new chapter after major £5...
Hide Ad

The firefighters have now been praised for their speedy response to the incident.

Andrew Nelson, Station Manager at Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We applaud the quick thinking of the shopping centre staff who alerted the Fire Service to the potential fire.

Hide Ad
The fire service were called this morning.

"The speedy response by our Crews and Fire Control ensured that the electrical fire was contained and didn’t spread to any other areas of the complex.

Hide Ad

"By using our Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP) we were able to investigate and identify the exact location of the fire, and to alleviate the issue. After the fire was extinguished we were able to pass the incident over to the electricity board and people were then able to continue going about their day.”

The fire service tackled the blaze at the Sunderland supermarket.
Hide Ad
Crews were called to reports of an electrical fire.
Teams arrived at the scene within five minutes.
Hide Ad
A worker saw smoke coming from the roof of the building.