Fire brigade warning after Sunderland kitchen blaze

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service have warned about the dangers of leaving on appliances after tackling a kitchen blaze in Washington.

Sunday, 24th October 2021, 12:01 pm
Updated Sunday, 24th October 2021, 12:01 pm

On Wednesday, October 20, at 2.34pm, firefighters were called to a kitchen fire at a house in the Usworth area after being alerted by neighbours who noticed smoke while the occupants of a property were out.

Read More

Read More
Body found on Hendon beach believed to be that of woman reported to have been sw...

Crews from Washington, Hebburn and Swalwell were deployed and firefighters were quickly able to extinguish the flames.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fire damage following a kitchen blaze at a property in Usworth.

A statement by Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “Thankfully nobody was injured thanks to the rapid response of our firefighters.

“However, this is a timely reminder to make sure your smoke alarms work and all appliances are turned off when you leave your home.”

Residents were also urged to check the Fire Services website at where there is guidance on fire alarms, checking appliances, fire prevention and how to escape a fire in the home.

A message from the editor:

Support our journalism and subscribe to this website to enjoy unlimited access to news, sport, retro, daily puzzles and more online. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu to find out more and sign up.