Over-40s League: Willow Pond roar back to send Roseberry Grange crashing out of Echo Cup

Willow Pond pipped Pelton Roseberry Grange 2-1 in an excellent Third Division Echo Cup tie, a week after losing 4-0 in the league.

Friday, 27th October 2017, 12:30 pm
Updated Monday, 11th December 2017, 9:23 pm
Roseberry Grange (green) celebrate scoring against Willow Pond last weekend. Picture by Tim Richardson

Roseberry Grange went ahead after a hopeful ball forward found John Jefferson, whose first-time shot wasn’t held by the diving Patrick Lesca. Comedy followed as the defence tried to clear, only for the ball to ricochet back into their net off Jefferson.

Willow forced Pelton keeper Barry Forster to make two good saves from Kit Tipling and James Briant.

Their pressure paid off when Gary Barker’s shot was cleared for a corner, David Kelly whipped in a wicked ball that curled up and just inside the far post to equalise.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Willow’s confidence grew and they went ahead from the penalty spot. Gary Golightly took Matt Barton’s pass and cut inside but was upended in the box, with referee Colin Stores pointing to the spot. Golightly despatched the spot-kick with aplomb.

Forster’s smart save denied Tipling a third, while home sub keeper Andy Tilbury had to on his toes to deny Wes Hood and Lee Nicholson, then tricky winger Steven Roughley hit the post.

Rolls-Royce exited 3-0 at Hartlepool Stag and Monkey.

Ivy Legends lost 1-0 at Durham County Strollers, while Houghton Cricket Club won 4-1 at Washington JFC Biddick Inn.

Penshaw Catholic Club maintained their good form with a 4-0 Premier Division win over Darlington Shuttle and Loom.

The visitors started the better, as the usually strong Penshaw midfield struggled.

But two quick Luke Charlesworth goals, the second a team goal of real quality, settled Penshaw.

It was 3-0 by the interval, with man of the match John Spence hitting a 25-yard drive.

The second half was one-way traffic, but resolute defending restricted Penshaw to just one more goal, a great header from Chris Moody.

Wallsend Community worked hard but were no match for a strong Washington Victoria Inn side in a 5-1 defeat.

Unbeaten Victoria started brightly and Nathan Hicks was denied a rare goal before Paul Diamond broke through and slotted home the opener.

Washington went two up when Steve Jones ran through to fire home, and winger Keith Gamble made it 3-0, scoring at the second attempt.

Man of the match Diamond ended up with a hat-trick after two poached goals, while Ian Brown volleyed a last-gasp beauty for Wallsend.

Table-toppers Marden proved too strong for Redhouse WMC with a 7-1 success.

Steve Hart and Mark Scott had the Tynesiders three up at the break, with Lee Crosby (2), Frank Deverdics and Alex Burnett sealing the deal.

Karl Ray scored a late consolation for Redhouse, with keeper Michael Bussey their top man.

Ryhope Foresters succumbed 3-1 at Hartlepool Workies.

The hosts missed a first-half penalty and Ryhope hit the bar, but they fell two goals behind before grabbing their consolation goal.

Wearmouth CW fought well for a 1-1 draw at Easington CIU.

Grindon Broadway were not at their best but still secured a 5-1 Second Division victory at Thornley Celtic.

Paul Griffiths’ early penalty was added to by Mark Fox’s 25-yard rasper.

In the second half, Grindon never got out of first gear, but Darren Cliff added a third before Stephen Walls cut the deficit.

Griffiths and Darren Cliff, who beat three defenders and lobbed the oncoming keeper, completed the scoring.

Seaham Marlborough lost 3-0 at Hebburn Town.

The Philadelphia were demolished 6-0 at Billingham Vets in Division Three.

Wearmouth CW Old Boys rose to fourth place in Division Four, thanks to a 3-0 victory over Doxy Lad.

Pennywell Vets lost a thriller 5-3 at Forest Hall, Pennywell Comrades went down 4-2 at Durham County and Boldon Colliery Tavern drew 1-1 with Hartlepool Tech.