Opposition welcomes '˜overdue' announcement on future of Sunderland's Vaux site

News that work on Sunderland's Vaux site is set to restart has been greeted with cautious optimism by the city council's opposition.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 19 July, 2018, 15:31
Coun Robert Oliver, leader of Sunderland's Conservatives.

Sunderland City Council and its development partner Siglion has confirmed construction firm Tolent has replaced contracting giant Carillion, which went into liquidation earlier this year.

Responding to the announcement, Sunderland’s Conservative leader Robert Oliver said the party welcomed development at the former brewery.

He said: “News of some possible progress at the Vaux site is long overdue, given that residents of the city have seen it standing empty for so long.

“Many people in Sunderland are fed up of the prime city centre site standing empty whilst other North East councils forge ahead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“Nevertheless, Sunderland Conservatives give a cautious welcome to any positive development at the site which is vital for the city.

“We have always believed that the Vaux site should be private sector led and not rely on government funding for its regeneration.”

 

James Harrison, Local Democracy Reporting Service