My partner and I have been together for six years. My partner has always been controlling and physically abusive, but I have never felt strong enough to leave him.

Tuesday, 4th August 2020, 6:00 pm
Far too often people feel trapped by an abusive and controlling partner - but there is legal support to help people escape such relationships.

Since the lockdown restrictions imposed by the Government due to the Coronavirus pandemic, I have been in the house with my partner for longer periods of time and the abuse has become an everyday occurrence. It has become so much that I cannot take it anymore.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, I know that if I left, he would try to find me and continue to harass me through text messages and social media. I want to leave him, but I feel trapped and I do not know what to do.

It is good that you have found the courage to leave an abusive and controlling relationship. We firstly advise that you seek support from a professional such as an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor or your GP if you have not already done so, as it appears that you have been the victim of significant domestic abuse. In circumstances like yours, you have two main legal options. The first being that a solicitor could write a warning letter to your partner, warning him to stop trying to contact you otherwise you will be issuing injunction proceedings against him. Often a letter from a solicitor is enough to stop a perpetrator. If the abuse is too serious for a warning letter or if your partner ignores the letter, you can apply for a family law injunction called a Non-Molestation Order. A Non-Molestation Order would prohibit your partner from attempting to contact you, harassing, pestering, or threatening violence against you, through himself or another person. This includes through text messages and social media. The Order could also prohibit your partner from coming within a certain distance from your property. Non-Molestation Orders usually last for 6 or 12 months and are a good way of calming situations down. You can apply for a Non-Molestation Order without giving your partner notice. Once your partner is served with the Order it will be in force and you must call the Police if he breaches the terms of the Order. Breach of a Non-Molestation Order is punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment. The court will then list your case for a return hearing which is your partners opportunity to respond.If you would like to discuss this matter further with a solicitor please do not hesitate to contact us on 0191 565 3112 or email [email protected] Visit www.benhoarebell.co.uk for further information.