Northern League: Redman at the double as Easington Colliery sign off for caretaker bosses

Easington Colliery extended their unbeaten run to five matches following Saturday's comfortable 4-0 home success against bottom club Alnwick Town.

Monday, 16th October 2017, 1:00 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 7:19 am
Easington Colliery (green) take on Alnwick Town on Saturday. Picture by Kevin Brady

The newly-appointed management double act of Craig Hughes and Craig Veart were interested observers as the Colliers played their final game under the caretaker control of Paul Adamson and Chris Pearson.

Easington had to wait until the half-hour mark to forge ahead, with Liam Adamson and David Vincent combining to set up Jay Redman, who coolly finished.

It was soon 2-0. Ashot was charged down and Adamson fed James Talbot, who sent a tremendous 25-yarder into the top corner of Rob Hodgson’s net.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Easington added a third in the 53rd minute as a clever flick by Redman set up Adamson, who rounded the keeper and tapped home.

Redman killed off the visitors eight minutes later, ruthlessly finishing off a fine through pass.

Chester-le-Street did well to fight back for a point at home to high-flying Hebburn Town.

After a goalless first half, Hebburn went ahead through Mechack Kanda in the 57th minute.

The second-bottom Cestrians left it late, but, in the 88th minute, Alex Walker levelled things up at 1-1.

Durham City played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at Blyth.

The home side were ahead in the first minute, through Samuel Norris, but City turned it around to lead at half-time as Sam Steele equalised after 19 minutes, then the prolific Bradley Hird put the visitors in front.

Ben Richardson got Blyth back to 2-2, but Chris Pattison must have thought that he had won Durham the game when he netted with eight minutes remaining, only for Stephen Little to rescue a 3-3 draw for Blyth, with five minutes left.

Tow Law Town dropped to second spot after losing a thriller 3-2 to fourth-top Whickham.

Chad Collins scored a hat-trick within 31 minutes as Whickham raced into a 3-0 lead. Lewis Teasdale and Kai Hewitson rallied the Lawyers, but Whickham held on for three big points.

Crook Town manager Wilf Constantine resigned as manager after the Millfield men’s 5-1 defeat at home to Thornaby, with Crook lying fifth-bottom.

Matthew Robinson, Jack Bailey, Jordan Wilson, Kallum Hannah and Daniel Chapman struck for the Teessiders, with Daniel Pigg hitting Crook’s consolation.

Willington were easy 4-1 winners at home to West Allotment Celtic.

Damon Ellis, Jack Bromley, Matty Moffat and Conor Winter all notched, with Gilberto Chapim replying.

Brandon United were handsome 5-1 victors at Darlington RA, with all the goals coming in the second half.

Vinny Gash helped himself to a hat-trick, while Steven Turnbull and Aaron Jackson also struck. Phillip Carey hit RA’s penalty consolation.

Billingham Town dropped to eighth after a 3-0 defeat at fifth-top Heaton Stannington.

Heaton wrapped the game up inside the first half hour, with Daniel Robinson’s brace sandwiching a Jake Turnbull strike.

Northallerton capitalised on Tow Law’s defeat to go top, following a 2-1 win at Ryton & Crawcrook Albion.

Liam Jarvie and Nicky Martin (penalty) won it, either side of Rhys Harbottle’s spectacular striker.

Jarrow lost 3-2 at Bedlington Terriers, for whom Jack Foalle bagged a treble, including two in the last 10 minutes. Liam Clark and David Smith had Jarrow 2-1 up late on.